Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

question about rare gene results

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

gregmaeser

question about rare gene results

Postby gregmaeser » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 pm

I had a question about my rare genes from history results.
It shows a check mark in the Akhenaten, Thuya, Egyptian, Khoisan and Aztlan box. In the Sinti it shows a check in one box and then a straight bar in the other box for Sinti.

I was wondering if this was a typo or if it had some meaning that there is a bar in one of the Sinti boxes.

jakayj

Re: question about rare gene results

Postby jakayj » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 am

Greg,

That bar divides the second and third boxes because Sinti has three possible populations, and should someone show markers from all of them, DNA Consultants would need a third box.

Hope this helps.

Jakay

Shari

Postby Shari » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi Jakay,
Same as Greg, I had been wondering about the three Sinti boxes. I have checks in the first two. Do you know what the three boxes represent?

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 pm

DNA Consultants has three Sinti population lineage markers that trace back to northern India as do the Romani/Gypsies themselves. These marker are not original in Gypsies, but reflect an earlier population that handed down the markers, which were carried by the Gypsies as they migrated west through the Middle East, into Europe, and, eventually to the Americas. If an individual carries one marker, a check is placed in one box; two, two checks are placed in two boxes; three, three checks, one in each box.

Hope this helps,

Jakay

Return to “Rare Genes from History”