Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Haplogroup H

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

D J Thornton

Haplogroup H

Postby D J Thornton » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:35 am

My MTDNA is H . I have that lineage back 7 generations to Caty unknown married to George Williams in Old Rappahanock VA in the area that the Rappahanock Indians were.. My maternal grandmother said she was Indian, perhaps Cherokee, her fathers familie were from GA to AL by 1812. Before the revolutionary war the Bonners and Jones were in NC Chowan Precinct the futherest I can get on that side, they were French Huguenit and also Quaker. Her mothers families were from GA, VA and also included French Huguenot, Irish, Native American, NC.
Hap H traces to France it is also prominent among Royals. I couldn't account for some countries in my research like Estonia, Hungary, or Galacia. I have a blood type of O- thar is found among Basque and Native Americans. This I did find in this paper on H
Ancient DNA from European Early Neolithic Farmers Reveals Their Near Eastern Affinities

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2976717/

American Journal of Human Genetics
American Society of Human Genetics
The Molecular Dissection of mtDNA Haplogroup H Confirms That the Franco-Cantabrian Glacial Refuge Was a Major Source for the European Gene Pool
Alessandro Achilli, Chiara Rengo, [...], and Antonio Torroni

Additional article information

Abstract
Complete sequencing of 62 mitochondrial DNAs (mtDNAs) belonging (or very closely related) to haplogroup H revealed that this mtDNA haplogroup—by far the most common in Europe—is subdivided into numerous subhaplogroups, with at least 15 of them (H1–H15) identifiable by characteristic mutations. All the haplogroup H mtDNAs found in 5,743 subjects from 43 populations were then screened for diagnostic markers of subhaplogroups H1 and H3. This survey showed that both subhaplogroups display frequency peaks, centered in Iberia and surrounding areas, with distributions declining toward the northeast and southeast—a pattern extremely similar to that previously reported for mtDNA haplogroup V. Furthermore, the coalescence ages of H1 and H3 (~11,000 years) are close to that previously reported for V. These findings have major implications for the origin of Europeans, since they attest that the Franco-Cantabrian refuge area was indeed the source of late-glacial expansions of hunter-gatherers that repopulated much of Central and Northern Europe from ~15,000 years ago. This has also some implications for disease studies. For instance, the high occurrence of H1 and H3 in Iberia led us to re-evaluate the haplogroup distribution in 50 Spanish families affected by nonsyndromic sensorineural deafness due to the A1555G mutation. The survey revealed that the previously reported excess of H among these families is caused entirely by H3 and is due to a major, probably nonrecent, founder event.

For most of human evolution, and particularly during the recent process of diffusion from Africa to the other continents, the relatively fast evolution of human mitochondrial DNAs (mtDNAs) has occurred in a context of small founding populations. Thus, founder events and genetic drift have played a major role in shaping haplotype frequencies, giving rise to haplogroups and subhaplogroups that are often restricted to specific geographic areas and/or population groups. In Europe, with the exception of U5 and V, which most likely arose in situ, all mtDNA haplogroups (H, I, J, K, T, U2e, U3, U4, X, and W) are most likely of Middle Eastern origin and were introduced by either the protocolonization ~45–40 thousand years ago (kya), by later arrivals in the Middle/Late Upper Paleolithic, Neolithic dispersals, or by more recent contacts (Torroni et al. 1998; Richards et al. 2000). For some haplogroups, particularly the more common ones, multiple chronologically distinct arrivals to Europe are extremely likely. In addition, the genetic landscape of Europe has probably been further confounded by the major climatic changes that have occurred since the arrival of the first modern humans. In particular, the early Paleolithic populations of Northern and Central Europe either became extinct or retreated to the south during the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) ~20 kya, and there was a gradual repeopling from southern refuge areas only when climatic conditions improved, from ~15 kya. This scenario is supported not only by recent work on archaeological dating (Housley et al. 1997; Richards 2003) but also by the phylogeographic evidence provided by mtDNA haplogroup V (Torroni et al. 1998; 2001a) and Y-chromosome haplogroups R1b and I1b2 (Semino et al. 2000; Cinnioğlu et al. 2004; Rootsi et al. 2004).

Among the mtDNA haplogroups of Europe, haplogroup H displays two unique features: an extremely wide geographic distribution and a very high frequency in most of its range. Indeed, it is by far the most prevalent haplogroup in all European populations except the Saami, is very common in North Africa and the Middle East, and retains frequencies of 5%–10% even in northern India and Central Asia, at the edges of its distribution range (Richards et al. 2002).

Previous studies have proposed that haplogroup H (i) originated in the Middle East ~30–25 kya; (ii) expanded into Europe in association with a second Paleolithic wave, possibly contemporary with the diffusion of the Gravettian technology (25–20 kya); and (iii) was strongly involved in the late-glacial expansions from ice-age refugia after the LGM (Torroni et al. 1998; Richards et al. 2000). In addition, because of its high frequency and wide distribution, haplogroup H most likely participated in all subsequent episodes of putative gene flow in western Eurasia, such as the Neolithic diffusion of agriculture from the Near East, the expansion of the Kurgan culture from southern Ukraine, and the recent events of gene flow to northern India.

As a result, it is likely that the dissection of H into subhaplogroups of younger age might reveal previously unidentified spatial frequency patterns, which in turn could be correlated to prehistoric and historical migratory events. However, until now, haplogroup H has been only partially resolved genealogically (Herrnstadt et al. 2002) allowing for the identification of 11 subclades (H1–H11) (Quintáns et al. 2004; Loogväli et al. 2004), the phylogeography of which has been evaluated only in rare instances (Tambets et al. 2004). Therefore, the objective of this study is to provide new information concerning the molecular dissection of haplogroup H and to determine whether its subhaplogroups do indeed show such spatial patterns........

Table 1
Population Distribution and Frequencies of Haplogroup H, H1, and H3 mtDNAs
The results of this survey are reported in table 1 and are illustrated in the spatial distribution of figure 3. Subhaplogroup H1 turned out to encompass a large proportion of H in the western part of its distribution range. It has a frequency peak among the Basques of Spain (27.8%) and very high frequencies in the rest of Iberia (17.7%–24.3%), Morocco (19.2%), and Sardinia (17.9%). The spatial pattern depicted in figure 3 appears to indicate the presence of an overall gradient for H1, with a peak centered at the most southwestern edge of Europe and in Morocco and declining frequencies towards both the northeast and southeast.

Figure 3
Spatial frequency distributions of subhaplogroups H1 and H3. Frequency values are from table 1. Maps were obtained as in figure 2.
Compared to H1, subhaplogroup H3 represents a much smaller fraction of H (table 1). However, its highest frequencies are found among the Basques of Spain (13.9%), in Galicia (8.3%), and, again, in Sardinia (8.5%)—in other words, in the same areas where H1 is also most frequent.

The frequency decline of both H1 and H3 from their peaks centered in southwestern Europe is not completely uniform, but a few intermediate local peaks are also observed. Both Austria and Estonia harbor peaks for haplogroup H1 (14.4% and 16.7%, respectively), whereas a local maximum of H3 is observed in Hungary (6.2%). Some intermediate peaks are indeed expected, as a result of random genetic drift. However, in some instances, these could also indicate a more direct genetic link of the populations living in these areas with those of southwestern Europe than with their current surrounding neighbors.

Thus, although the frequency distribution of haplogroup H overall in Europe is rather uniform (fig. 2), those of H1 and H3 harbor clear-cut patterns, with peaks both centered in Iberia and surrounding areas. We noted with great interest that such frequency patterns are extremely similar to that previously described for haplogroup V, an autochthonous European haplogroup, which most likely originated in the northern Iberian Peninsula or southwestern France at about the time of the Younger Dryas (Torroni et al. 1998, 2001a; Richards 2003). The distribution of haplogroup V was attributed to a major Paleolithic/Mesolithic population expansion from southwestern Europe, which occurred 13–10 kya and eventually carried those mtDNAs into Central and Northern Europe following the postglacial improvement of the climate conditions..........

In conclusion, our analysis of complete mtDNA sequences reveals that haplogroup H, the most common haplogroup in western Eurasia, can be subdivided into numerous sister clades. Among these, two—H1 and H3—were particularly common in our sample of H sequences, suggesting that a phylogeographic study focusing on the two subhaplogroups could be particularly informative. Indeed, the survey of a wide range of western Eurasian and North African populations revealed that, in contrast to haplogroup H as a whole, which harbors a rather uniform frequency within Europe, both subhaplogroups H1 and H3 are characterized by frequency peaks centered in Iberia and surrounding areas and by declining distributions toward the northeast and southeast. This pattern is extremely similar to that previously reported for mtDNA haplogroup V. However, not only the frequency distributions of H1, H3, and V resemble each other; also, the coalescence ages of H1 and H3 are close to that of V. Thus, it is now clear that the scenario proposed to explain the age and distribution of haplogroup V can be directly transposed to subhaplogroups H1 and H3. This suggests that the Franco-Cantabrian refuge area was indeed the source of late-glacial expansions of hunter-gatherers that repopulated much of Central and Northern Europe from ~15 kya. This picture, now supported by three of the clades of the mtDNA phylogeny, is also in perfect agreement with the synthetic map of the second principal component of variation in 95 classical genetic markers (Cavalli-Sforza et al. 1994), and the distributions of the Y-chromosome haplogroups R1b and I1b2 (Semino et al. 2000; Rootsi et al. 2004).

curiousity

Re: Haplogroup H

Postby curiousity » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:24 am

I'm haplogroup H11a. That's a pretty old one; I've read in one spot it's 45,000 years old, and other articles say it's maybe 35,000 years old, tops. I've read that H11a carriers lived in some secluded spot during the LGM, and while other haplogroup H people died off during the LGM, H11a migrated into the now-warming climate in Europe.

I just read an opinion that H11a came out of Iberia. I have no professional knowledge of any of this, of course, but most of the information I've read about H11a says they came out of Eastern Europe/Near East or something. Of course, the H haplogroup that came out of Iberia could be the ones that didn't make it through the LGM. That'd be my guess; Wikipedia says it's only maybe 25,000 years old but does say haplogroup H was in Europe before the Ice Age.

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:37 am

That's Interesting. Marie Antoinette was H, the Cave painters were that area.
I like your ancient perspective

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:41 am

I'm excited to finally learn once step back on my mtdna tree My Unknown Caty, who married George William
George Williams
http://colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getpe ... tree=Tree1
M Katherine Taylor
Daughter of Septimus Taylor and Bridgett Henderson
This is a great resource for getting materials

The parents of Bridgett Unknown
Needed next

Name Septimus Taylor
Born 1710 North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Viriginia Find all individuals with events at this location
Gender Male
Died 4 Apr 1748 North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Viriginia Find all individuals with events at this location
Person ID I075369 Tree1
Last Modified 27 Oct 2017

Father Simon Taylor, b. 3 Mar 1668/69, North Farnham Parish, Old Rappahannock County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 2 Feb 1728/29, North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 59 years)
Mother Elizabeth Lewis, b. 8 Mar 1673/74, North Farnham Parish, Old Rappahannock County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location, d. 7 Sep 1727, North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 53 years)

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 am

The Lewis line goes to Warren

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 pm

When first looking at my Haplotype it was first thought to be U. I was just look at
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_H_(mtDNA)
1 why I have Italy high in my too 10 and And noted 2things, 2 it can be U.
n July 2008 ancient mtDNA from an individual called Paglicci 23, whose remains were dated to 28,000 years ago and excavated from Paglicci Cave (Apulia, Italy), were found to be identical to the Cambridge Reference Sequence in HVR1.[6] This once was believed to indicate haplogroup H, but researchers now recognize that CRS can also appear in U or HV. Haplogroup HV derives from the haplogroup R0 which in turn derives from haplogroup R is a descendant of macro-haplogroup N like its sibling M, is a descendant of haplogroup L3

Haplogroup H has also been found among Iberomaurusian specimens dating from the Epipaleolithic at the Taforalt and Afalou prehistoric sites.[7] Among the Taforalt individuals, around 29% of the observed haplotypes belonged to various H subclades, including H1 (2/24; 8%), H103 (1/24; 4%), H14b1 (1/24; 4%), H2a2a1 (1/24; 4%), and H2a1e1a (1/24; 4%). A further 41% of the analysed haplotypes could be assigned to either haplogroup H or haplogroup U. Among the Afalou individuals, the H subclades were represented by H103 (1/9; 11%). A further 44% of the analysed haplotypes could be assigned to either haplogroup H or haplogroup U (3/9; 33%) or to haplogroup H14b1 or haplogroup JT (1/9; 11%).[8]
The clade has been observed among ancient Egyptian mummies excavated at the Abusir el-Meleq archaeological site in Middle Egypt, which date from the Pre-Ptolemaic/late New Kingdom and Ptolemaic periods.[9]

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Haplogroup H has been observed in ancient Guanche fossils excavated in Gran Canaria and Tenerife on the Canary Islands, which have been radiocarbon-dated to between the 7th and 11th centuries CE. At the Tenerife site, these clade-bearing individuals were found to belong to the H1cf subclade (1/7; ~14%); at the Gran Canaria site, the specimens carried the H2a subhaplogroup (1/4; 25%).[26] Additionally, ancient Guanche (Bimbaches) individuals excavated in Punta Azul, El Hierro, Canary Islands were all found to belong to the H1 maternal subclade. These locally born individuals were dated to the 10th century and carried the H1-16260 haplotype, which is exclusive to the Canary Islands and Algeria.[27]

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:24 pm

All thes post from Wiki article, distribution
Guanches were the aboriginal Berber inhabitants of the Canary Islands.[1] It is believed that they migrated to the archipelago around 1000 BC or perhaps earlier. The Guanches were the only native people known to have lived in the Macaronesian region before the arrival of Europeans, as there is no evidence that the other Macaronesian archipelagos (Azores, Cape Verde, Madeira) were inhabited before Europeans arrived. After the Spanish conquest of the Canaries they were ethnically and culturally absorbed by Spanish settlers,[1] although elements of their culture survive to this day, intermixed within Canarian customs and traditions such as Silbo (the whistled language of La Gomera Island).

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Of interest to me is the Basques, high on Welsh connect
And Iberian, Irish
H1 encompasses an important fraction of Western European mtDNA lineages, reaching its local peak among contemporary Basques (27.8%). The clade also occurs at high frequencies elsewhere in the Iberian Peninsula, as well as in the Maghreb (Tamazgha). The haplogroup frequency is above 10% in many other parts of Europe (France, Sardinia, parts of the British Isles, Alps, large portions of Eastern Europe), and sur

Tote O blood rh- high in .basque and found in Native American

https://docslide.com.br/documents/the-b ... e0adf.html
Last edited by D J Thornton on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:39 pm

There’s a distribution chart here Tuareg is high on it. The Spanish and France Basque.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_H_(mtDNA)
Andalusia, Galecia, Ital high on my report

Return to “Europe”