Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Curious about Danish DNA

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

gregmaeser

Curious about Danish DNA

Postby gregmaeser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:18 pm

I recently had the Jewish DNA fingerprint with 18 marker ethnic panel completed. There were two Jewish markers identified (Jewish I and Jewish III) in the results. That confirmed some of our family suspicions, especially through my father where we have identified quite a few Jewish surnames. However, what surprised me were my mega population and European matches. My mega population showed melungeon first followed by african american and african before Eastern European, Northern European and Jewish showed up. Then, on the European matches Estonia was number one followed by Portugal and Israeli Jews.

Some of the populations matched our paper trail but what surprised me was that there were no Danish populations. My grandmother was born in Denmark and my mother claims to be 3/4 danish. Her DNA was done by DNA tribes a few years ago and it did not identify any danish populations. Her results were in the middle east, Berber, and other populations that made no sense to her. I've never had any Danish results pop up on any DNA tests I have done.

So what gives? Are the Danish not really Danish?

D J Thornton

Re: Curious about Danish DNA

Postby D J Thornton » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:59 pm

When did you test? I need update on mine.
Danish comes in with me in Scottish Ancestors I1
And Gg Grandfather emigrated 1858 from Preetz, Germany. Duchy
My ethnic panel may mot be on here, will check I had sane Jewish Markers

gregmaeser

Re: Curious about Danish DNA

Postby gregmaeser » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 am

I think I figured it out. Estonia, which was my number one European match, has a significant Danish influence from many years ago. Reading the history of Estonia I can see the influence from the middle ages and prior.

Return to “Europe”