Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Family Mystery Solved regarding missing German ancestry

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

suelevin1

Family Mystery Solved regarding missing German ancestry

Postby suelevin1 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:16 pm

I know that my paternal grandfather's family emigrated from Germany but my DNA Fingerprint plus didn't show any German matches. Instead, I found Polish and Slavic, which are close enough geographically to be understood. I asked my brother to take the EURO test, and was expecting different results because his body type is much different than mine. However, his was very similar, also showing Polish and Slavic. I went to my Ancestry family tree and started to dig a little further. I found that my paternal great-grandfather did indeed emigrate from Bohemia, Germany, but from a part of Bohemia that is now considered the Czech republic. His town appears to be right on the German-Czech border. Since the Fingerprint Plus test matches against living populations, it now makes sense and is quite accurate to say that my family emigrated from Germany but in fact today I would be considered Slavic. Interesting!!

Sue

jakayj

Re: Family Mystery Solved regarding missing German ancestry

Postby jakayj » Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm finding there's almost always an expanding story to explain the "mysteries" once we can track down the family members.

Jakay

Return to “Europe”