Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Who were/are the Romani people?

A public forum open to those interested in their Romani ancestry, especially as reflected in DNA testing results, moderated by Shari.

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

Shari

Who were/are the Romani people?

Postby Shari » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:01 pm

In the recent years DNA testing has revealed hugely significant amounts of information about the many peoples of the world. This is no less true of the Romani. Just the fact that a person can know his/her ethnic ancestry from a DNA test is astounding in itself.

Before my mother’s and my autosomal DNA testing, I knew nothing of my ancestry but had always wondered. After our testing I found myself with a wealth of information. We both received reports from DNA Consultants explaining the results and I began applying those clues to our family history.

However, after reading the two Elizabeth Hirschman - Donald Yates books, When Scotland was Jewish and Jews and Muslims in British Colonial America, I possessed an even fuller picture.

It is probable my two Shetland Islands great-grandmothers were not aware of their Romani ancestry. Grandmothers FEA married into families with Jewish surnames who, as well, most likely knew nothing of their ancestry.

There are millions of Romanies around the world who do know their ethnic origins, however. Even today, many, perhaps most, who are aware of the experiences of their ancestors and perhaps of their own, believe themselves to be “outsiders.” Some non-Romani have extraordinarily false and demeaning beliefs about the Romani people.

Romanies have endured unimaginable mistreatment including slavery and death. Thousands died in Hitler’s holocaust in WWII along with Jews and other minorities. Over the centuries it has been overwhelmingly difficult for Romanies to find their place in the world.

This article by Julie Cantrell gives us a brief, current overview - http://aliveeastbay.com/archives/gypsies-who-are-they-and-where-did-they-come-from/. This is my favorite quote:

“...Romani scholar and advocate, Ian Hancock, Ph.D., is professor of linguistics at the University of Texas, Austin who states; ‘Gypsies were fictional, Romanies are actual people…’”

Dr. Hancock and others have been and are continuing to provide extensive information for those seriously interested in the Romanies and their history.

I found another fine quote within a second article by Julie Cantrell - https://juliecantrell.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/about-the-roma-a-note-regarding-the-term-gypsy/:

“...If there’s anything I have learned while trying to identify what it means to be a Rom, it’s that there seems to be no one answer. Perhaps that’s the overall message that we all need to hear…that Romani people are just like any other group of people – they are each individuals with different ideas, opinions, talents, skills, and ambitions. And, just as any minority group, they should not be lumped into one stereotypical category...”

ymidualc

Re: Who were/are the Romani people?

Postby ymidualc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:04 am

Hello! I am new here.I have the Sinti gene,Sub -Saharan II and Asian II(India).It looks like I have a good chance of Romani descent.right?
I still intend to do the Premium Upgrade.

brmw90

Postby brmw90 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:54 pm

ymidualc wrote:Hello! I am new here.I have the Sinti gene,Sub -Saharan II and Asian II(India).It looks like I have a good chance of Romani descent.right?
I still intend to do the Premium Upgrade.

I would assume so

ymidualc

Postby ymidualc » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:19 am

Hi!
Are Romani people descendants of Dalits?

Raven

Postby Raven » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:43 pm

I'm curious about the Romani people as well. Are they mainly mixed with European? I was surprised that my number 2 world match was indo-mongoloid Naga, which seems to be purely Asian based on the description of the population. I can't believe I would have had such a high amount of Asian admixture.

ymidualc

Postby ymidualc » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:03 am

I asked the Professor Ian Hancock,Reseacher of romani ancestry.And he says that Romani people don't have a Dalit ancestry.

brmw90

Postby brmw90 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:19 pm

Raven wrote:I'm curious about the Romani people as well. Are they mainly mixed with European? I was surprised that my number 2 world match was indo-mongoloid Naga, which seems to be purely Asian based on the description of the population. I can't believe I would have had such a high amount of Asian admixture.

Similar to Natives in the US, some Roma are "mixed" and some are predominantly non-euro. At least, that is what I have learned via their history.

Raven

Postby Raven » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks brmw90! I'm still surprised that this is my number 2 result. I will have to do more family research. I was assuming that I was just matching with it because of native Americans DNA being similar to Asians.

Return to “Romani”