Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

American Roma Surnames

A public forum open to those interested in their Romani ancestry, especially as reflected in DNA testing results, moderated by Shari.

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

D J Thornton

American Roma Surnames

Postby D J Thornton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:59 am

Well, I didn't know wher to find my Roma but according to this list, which also contains Melungeon surnames I have many, some of which are my hardest to research from my fathers families, though a few go into my maternal grandmothers,
Adams, James,Green, , Johnson, Cox, Pierce, father. GM Cox, Turner, Jones,Adams, Taylor, Williams, Stanley, Lee, Brown (GF)
I actually have a whole line of my fathers mother maiden name Lovett, I don't have anything, it's an adopted line maybe.

These are names of Roma known to us to have been, or presently, living in the USA
http://sciway3.net/clark/freemoors/presentsurnames.html

Adams, Ayres, Baker, Ball, Barnes, Barney, Bartlett, Bath, Beaney, Beckett, Birch, Bimbo, Black, Blackman, Bland, Boswell, Bowers, Brazil, Brewer,  Buckland, Buckley, Bufford, Bull, Burton, Bushnell, Butler, Camfield, Carey, Carrington, Castle, Chapman, Clark, Cole/Coles, Collins, Coneley, Cooley, Cooper, Cox, Cripps, Crocker, Crutcher/Croucher/Kircher, Curtis, Davis/Davies, Dawes,  Deacon/Deakins, Dixon, Doe, Draper, Duckett, Eastwood, Elliot, Essex, Faa, Frankham,  Giles, Golby, Green, Gregory, Griggs, Gritt, Groves, Gulumba, Guy, Hall, Harfield,  Harris, Harrison, Hearn, Heron, Herron,  Hibberd, Hicks, Hughes, Isaacs, James, Jeffs, Jeffery, Joles,  Johnson, Jones, Keet, Kempster, King, Kircher, Lakey, Lamb, Lambert, Lane, Lee, Light, Lovell, Loveridge, Marks, Matthews, Miller, Mills, Mitchell, Mustow, Newland, Odam, Orchard, Page, Pannell, Parker, Pateman, Penfold/Pinfold, Peters, Pidgley, Pierce,  Pike, Proudley, Rawlings/Rollins, Ray, Roberts, Rose, Rowell, Rowland/Rowlands, Sanders/Saunders, Scamp, Scott, Sharkey, Sheen, Sherred/Sherrard, Sherwood, Sines, Stanley, Smith, Small,  Stevens/Stephens,  Stokes, Stratton, Tanner, Taylor,  Tene (Tenne), Thompson, Turner, Vincent, Wells, Wenman,  Western, Wheeler, White, Whorton,  Willett, Williams, Willis, Wood, Yancer, Young, Ziko.

Ash,. Welsh Rom

American Vlax Rom are: Miller, Costello, Marks, Eli, Evans, Kaslov, Stevens, Tennis, Wanko, DelMaro, Williams, Nichols, Nicola ,Uwanowich, Adams, and Bimbo.

Romanian Gypsies: Jones, Stevens, Nichols, Lucas, Westerns, Georges, Morgans, Gilks, Stanleys

Shari

Re: American Roma Surnames

Postby Shari » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks for this, D.J. Here is another website containing surnames (UK). Many of the names are duplicates of those in the list you've found.

- http://website.lineone.net/~rtfhs/journal.html

christopherswink8

Postby christopherswink8 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:02 am

Thank you for sharing this surname list. I have more than a handful of these in my tree. However one is of particular interest for me.

I have Scinti in my rare genes and Slovakia in my Mega Popultions.

My mothers mother was born a Rawlings born in Barton Co., Missouri. I can only trace the Rawlings line back where it was Rollins in Indiana or Tennesee, maybe, early 1800’s. There are discrepancies in which state in various trees of our family.

My fathers mothers grandmother was a Williams born in Asaph, Wales.

Shari

Postby Shari » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:52 pm

All I can suggest is that you continue researching the circumstances and history surrounding each of your ancestors. This can often help in piecing together their life stories. The process can be frustrating but also satisfying. Best of luck with your searches.

Return to “Romani”