Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Melungeon test

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

christopherswink8

Re: Melungeon test

Postby christopherswink8 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:20 pm

According to Sue Levin the Melungeon reference population is the most current at DNA Consultants. I asked her yesterday if an update was available or necessary for me. Even though my Melungeon Fingerprint Plus gave me Melungeon as my number 1 match. On the word Melungeon there are many theories out there as to the meaning of the name/ word. A man by the name of Vance Hawkins has done extensive research on the Melungeon peoples as well as the Saponi, Catawba and other Eastern Siouan Peoples of Virginia North Carolina and the Ohio River Valley. He posits that the Melungeons are of an Eastern Siouan heritage. Vance also posits that the word Melungeons is of French origins. As in French the term “we mix” is “nous melangeons”. Literally meaning we mix. This makes sense to me. But we may never know the true meaning of the word. Google Vance Hawkins and Melungeon, Saponi and Ft Christanna. Very interesting read.

Return to “Melungeon”