Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Melungeon test

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

Versatile87

Melungeon test

Postby Versatile87 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 am

Is the melungeon test included in the DNA fingerprint plus test?

jakayj

Re: Melungeon test

Postby jakayj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:27 pm

I checked, and Melungeon is one of the 450 specific populations you can potentially match dependent on the strength of your DNA to that population. Jakay

Versatile87

Postby Versatile87 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:10 pm

So is it included in the DNA fingerprint PLUS test or is a separate add on?

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:27 am

Yes, Melungeon is among the 450 populations covered in the DNA Fingerprint Test.

Jakay

Versatile87

Postby Versatile87 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:17 am

Ok I wanted to make sure. I didn't want to purchase an add on if it was already included in the plus test. Thanks.

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:46 am

I don't want to mislead you, the Melungeon version of the DNA Fingerprint Test, based on the atDNA 7.0 database, gives all the information of the DNA Fingerprint Plus test with a Melungeon Match analysis and special Melungeon certificate. You may prefer this one as it has the specific population you're interested in.

Jakay

Versatile87

Postby Versatile87 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:40 pm

I received my fingerprint results back in 2010, and my fingerprint Plus 1-2 years ago. I was thinking about purchasing the Melungeon test (the one that's 50 dollars for customers who already had the fingerprint test done), but I don't want to purchase it if it was already included in the fingerprint Plus test. I asked if it was included because I know that the 18 markers and megapopulations are included in the plus, and I wanted to make sure that Melungeon wasn't included. You stated that it was included in the Plus, so If it's included and I didn't receive it in my Plus results then I do not have it. And there's no need to purchase the separate test, correct?

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Fri May 13, 2016 4:12 am

The investigator said we added the Melungeon data back in 2011, so there is no need for an update unless you are looking for Melungeon beyond your top 50 matches. ( We search in 450 populations with the update so, you can find out where it is and how strong your match is by ordering the Melungeon update for only $50": http://dnaconsultants.com/specials/melungeon-match.

Hope this clears it up.

Jakay

rdegnen

Postby rdegnen » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:34 pm

My recent Megapopulation Test results lists Melungeon as the number one ancestry category. The "Melungeon Test" also listed Melungeon as the number one match as well.

Kathryn Halliday

Postby Kathryn Halliday » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:04 am

I made an interesting discovery regarding the word melungeon. I could not find it in the dictionary. To me, the word had a Turkish sound to it so I then looked in my Turkish dictionary and found: melun can [The c without a tail is pronounced like a j as in John. If it has a tail it is like ch as in church.] So the Turkish is pronounced the same as melungeon, and it means: lost or damned soul. My DNA test in 2010 shows that I have Turkish ancestory.

Kathryn Halliday

Return to “Melungeon”