Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Melungeon were Portuguese

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

rdegnen

Melungeon were Portuguese

Postby rdegnen » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:47 pm

jakayj

Re: Melungeon were Portuguese

Postby jakayj » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks for posting this very informative information. - Jakay

dpyates

Re: Melungeon were Portuguese (and Portuguese Jewish)

Postby dpyates » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks, Robert for the reference to Joanne Pezzulo's blog about Melungeons being Portuguese. Not to split hairs, but Melungeons could refer to non-Portuguese families, too, while Portuguese could refer to Jews. It was a virtual synonym for Jew in the 17-18 cents. You can find explicit usage like that in old dictionaries and colonial records. Many Portuguese Jewish families adopted names like Porter, Portal and Portugall. They liked girls first names that started with the sound Lu- (to remind them of roots in Lusitania, the classical name of Portugal). Common names were Lucinda, Louise, Lucille and Lucretia. Bizarre, inventive forms like Louhanna (the Blevins and Bolling families) and Lucinderella (the Cooper family) and Luta Mae (my wife’s Box family, originally Fox) were known to occur. A list from my genealogy research is: Lou Ann, Lou Ella, Lou Nell, Loudella, Loudie Bell, Louisa, Louisa Ann, Louise, Louisiana, Louiza, Louverna, Louvice, Louvina, Lovice, Lovida, Lovie, Lovine, Luallan, Lucetta, Lucia, Lucille, Lucina, Lucinda, Lucretia, Lucy, Luida, Lula, Lula Mae, Luna , Lura, Lurena, Luticia, Luvernia and Luvina.
Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, http://dnaconsultants.com

christopherswink8

Re: Melungeon were Portuguese

Postby christopherswink8 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Thank you for posting this. After many many years of being told I was “German” Palatine “Black German” descent, I now know that to not be the truth. I am pretty certain my direct male line is of Portuduese Azores descent. Especially now considering the Amazing results obtained from DNA Consultants. However I can not trace my Swink surname out of Rowna, NC 1741. My family researchers say we are of the Schwenks of PA by way of Palatinate. But I have taked to Schwenks and they have a haplogroup of I. Myself and many other Swinks have haplogroup R-M269. Therefore in no way can we be “German”. They tell me to disregard my 12 and 25 marker matches from Brazil, Mexico and Portugal. They say they are “false” matches. I know I am related to those matches of “Hispanic” “Latin” origins.

Return to “Melungeon”