Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Welcome

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

D J Thornton

Welcome

Postby D J Thornton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:03 pm

Welcome back to the New DNA Communities. I'm working on what's new and our favorite subjects. Through an unfortunate series of circumstances the content of DNA Communities has been lost. Anything you want to repost, feel free. A lot has been added to the body of knowledge for Genetic Geneogy since the forum began. It has been an interesting journey, one I look forward to continuing.

What you might have missed is that Ancestry destroyed their database,
http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/20 ... estry-why/

Ancestry, had purchased Sorensen, aka Relative Genectics. As well. This is unfortunate for our continued research in mapping out our Ancestry with DNA. I for one am upset about Sorensen. I had my Dad who is now deceased done with their lab. I can't get those matches or DNA back. Also I found a connection to my Lee Ancestor of 4g grandmother at RG and found it was Scottish as her son had claimed and not related to Robert E Lee as others claimed, My dads Y DNA was said to be L3 there but further testing had it refined to J 2
That is Jewish and Cherokke. I only have my Adams lineage to 1820 abt 4 g or CSA for me. The CSA Willliam Adams died young as a POW. Many of us find missing pieces around then. He came demo Georgia. My dad said his grandfather was full blood Cherokee. I wanted to find out if that was true, through regular research I could not, as most Native American research that is documented, relates to Reservation Indians and blood quantams. Finding a tribe by DNA is next to impossible, but U was amazed when my AtDNA test confirmed the ethnic markers, and further research indicated Cherokee.
One thing I noticed on the Ancient DNA tools http://www.y-str.org/p/ancient-dna.html
Is that L3 is found in Peru. NA41 Laguna de los Condores, Peru M L3 1000-1500 AD

Perhaps that first test wasn't far off in finding the Indian Ancestry I was looking for.
We can all look forward to the future of the science, what was sacrosanct in the Native American model is being ripped a little as we speak. The veil is lifting.

D J Thornton

Re: Welcome

Postby D J Thornton » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:16 am

Besides, no longer offering, Y Nd MTDNA testing, Ancestry did away with there popular Genealogy.com, My Family and other free sites, I personally don't use Ancestry nor plan too. I prefer Familysearch. I don't want to pay for records that can. Be found free with due diligence. I don't want to build a tree for them, to charge others for. I have had relatives get mad at me for putting info on Family Search, why, I don't know,if it is because it's owned by Mormons, or the share on line factor. One thing you have to learn really fast when learning and sharing genealogy, you don't own you Ancestors, the more that is shared, the easier it is. For one I hope Family Search continues indefinite to save our family research. I had put a lot of info on genforum, hoping to share info to relatives, hoped my descendants could find me. We had hope that also with DNA Communities but contary to what we hoed, information doesn't stay forever online. I would caution you to keep backups of you research in the most up to date format as possible. Routinely back up your work and save website pages you find that are relative to your research.
Ancestry seems to be wiping out the free stuff, and the DNA testing that is most useful for bypassing needless paper research on lines that may not be yours. dNA testing, helps to zero in on the right paper trails. DNA testing is not a replacement for paper genealogy, but enhances the experience and helps us find Ancestors that were victims of paper genocide.

23andme is having issues with the FDA about ethics regarding sharing of medical info. DNA Tribes Founder died in 2014, DeCode Me is no longer offering consumer testing. Out of Iceland, they still have a website with interesting info.. Ancestry by DNA closed a few years ago.

DNA Consultants continues to offer Y, MTDNA testing, Native American Ethnic Testing, and the most up to date autosomal
testing results.

hollyworld

Postby hollyworld » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:40 pm

Thank you DJ for the update on the loss of the freebies online, such a loss! I like your quote, that "you don't own your ancestors", maybe rather, I posit, "they own us" and our calling out to us to rediscover and remember them...

suelevin1

Postby suelevin1 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Very good information- thanks!!

ymidualc

Postby ymidualc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi!
I'm New here. I have native american II.
I'd like to now about this

Thanks!

Return to “Native American”