Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Tribe Photos

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

D J Thornton

Tribe Photos

Postby D J Thornton » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:08 am

If you have Facebook you might like viewing the Albums of Natives. You may connect with some families. I enjoy them,
Native North American Indian - Old Photos
This may not link, but search for name of page and like and follow, new ones added often. Each tribe can be found in Album, that they have posted.

Roger Langen

DNA question

Postby Roger Langen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Dear DJ Thornton

Where might I find out the meaning of a D9S-919 test result showing a value of 17-19? My particular heritage is New Brunswick Acadian-Irish to the late 1700s (1600s on my mother's side), with life shared with the Maliseet on the Upper St. John River. So we are reasonably certain of some Native admixture, but we do not as yet have clear evidence. Some of my second cousins have band cards, but I don't know them (life lived in Toronto), and I am aware there is controversy about this both ways. Thanks for any pointers. Roger Langen

D J Thornton

Re: Tribe Photos

Postby D J Thornton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:46 pm

D9S919 is a STR marker located on chromosome 9.

It was previously known as D9S1120 and under this name it was reported that an allele value of 9*10 was only found in the Americas and far eastern Asia[1]. The presence of an allele value of 9 is therefore a strong indication of native american ancestry somewhere within a person's pedigree.
https://isogg.org/wiki/D9S919

An alle count of 9 indicates NativeAmerican but only 30% have it. An absence doesn’t mean you don’t. It’s the gene pool in your inheritance.

Similar thread
viewtopic.php?t=1710

An interesting blog explaining recombination Native DNA
http://www.rootsandrecombinantdna.com/2 ... -that.html

Maybe someone else can ad more,
Thanks for posting your question.
DJ

Also I’d like to learn more about Acadians l

D J Thornton

Re: Tribe Photos

Postby D J Thornton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm

https://dna-explained.com/2012/12/18/pr ... using-dna/

Proving Native American Ancestry using DNA.
Article

Return to “Native American”