Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Austin and Rice surnames

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

christopherswink8

Austin and Rice surnames

Postby christopherswink8 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:43 pm

I dont usually take to much stock in trees on Family Search or Ancestry. Most I have researched have discrepancies that range from mild to wild. And with Family Search anyone can add/ delete at will.

However. I have found within my mothers, mothers, father lines of Rawlings and Vernon a branch of Rice and Austins in New Kent, VA 1660-1680’s.

If accurate. One of my 10th great grandmothers, a Catawba unk name, was married to my 10th great grandfather David Rice 1684 New Kent, VA - 1770 Hanover, VA. One of their daughters, Elizabeth Rice b. 1702 VA married a Richard Austin III b. 1690 New Kent, VA, supposed Pamunkey half blood. Their daughter Mary Elizabeth Austin married into my Vernon line. One of Richard and Elizabeths sons, John Austin b. 1740 Appomattox, VA was appointed Captain of the Catawba by Governor William Bull S.C.

Richard Austin can be found around 1731 on the Mattaponi river on or near a Samuel Austins land.

Austin surname also found to be on the Pamunkey River Basin.

This new found research combined with my top matches here on DNA Consultants showing my number 3 match as Lumbee would make sense.

christopherswink8

Re: Austin and Rice surnames

Postby christopherswink8 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:42 am

I am not sure how/ why I found this. A link to Geni on Cheepoake Harris. In the family and genealogical section below the heading there are Austins within this family with connections to Spaoni, Cheraw, Cataba, Mattaponi, etc. Also noted in the link is Austin’s mentioned as not of pure European blood but that of Melungeon.

https://www.geni.com/people/Cheepoake-H ... 9044065488

I am a complete amateur at genealogical research and really have no idea what I am doing and how/ where to place this information. Or even how to draw upon certain conclusions on this research.

dpyates

Postby dpyates » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:29 am

Yes, Austin is a Melungeon name. The males test as having Sub-Saharan African Y chromosome types. They are all the same family. John Austin came out of Virginia/N.C. and married Hannah Love about 1720. Their grandchildren married Blevinses. All were Jewish or crypto-Jewish. Bill Emmet and Charles Austin did sterling work on the Austins, Blevinses, Coopers, Muses and related longhunter families. Check this link out https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/a/u/s/Cha ... -0001.html
Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, http://dnaconsultants.com

christopherswink8

Postby christopherswink8 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:21 am

Dr. Yates,

Thank you for your reply. I have read where Austin lines were Sub Saharan. Could be one source for my Sub Saharan and Jewish alleles I assume.

I will check out the link. Thank you.

I have read mention on rootsweb and other places where my Ballou/ Ballew line there were long hunters in those lines from Kentucky/ NC 1700’s.

christopherswink8

Postby christopherswink8 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:24 am

This John Austin is likely the son of my Richard Austin III and Elizabeth Rice. All presumably of Pamunkey, Catawba and Saponi origins.

Here is a link to the transcribed Pleas and Quarterly minutes of Rowan Co. NC 1755 whereas Said John Auston a Saponi Indian and two other Indians requesting passage to negotiate peace with the Cattaba. 3 Belts of Wampum were offered up as per the treaty.

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surname ... stin/7367/

I spoke with the Rowan Co. NC library historical department today and am awaiting them to send me a copy of the original Pleas and Quarterly minutes as well as the transcribed portion.

As well as Saponi, Pamunkey and Catawba. I suspect Eno, Yuchi, Tuscarora and possibly others within these lines. I feel that all were very closely related though. This could be my connection to my Lumbee match.

Return to “Native American”