Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Green Dot in Siberia

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

Shari

Green Dot in Siberia

Postby Shari » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Generally, what could a #1 World Population Rank mean? Could it suggest strong DNA passed on to the tested person by a most recent ancestor’s line or could it mean other things?

Specifically, my #1 - RUSSIA - CHUKCHI, is one of the many surprises within my DNA test results.

This is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukchi_people - “The Chukchi, Eskimos of Western Chukotka...are an indigenous people inhabiting the Chukchi Peninsula and the shores of the Chukchi Sea and the Bering Sea region of the Arctic Ocean within the Russian Federation...”

I believe this, on my map, is probably represented by a bright green dot in far eastern Russia, directly west geographically from the Seward Peninsula, Alaska. In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo, these people are described as “Yupik” of Alaska and eastern Siberia.

My map shows three green dots in Alaska and western Canada - one in the Seward Peninsula area and two in the British Colombia area. Perhaps one or more of these also indicate Yupik DNA.

In my case, would it signify something more specific, such DNA from one or both of my parents who possessed my #1 WPM? In other words, did Mom and/or Dad possess the specific DNA for “Russia - Chukchi,” or is it just another indication of the overall Native American DNA that I inherited?

These are my Native American WPM:
- Choles - Chiapas, Mexico (rank 11);
- Salashan - British Columbia (20);
- Salashan (21);
- Alaskan Athabaskan (24);
3 Minnesota (43, 46 and 47)

I also possess Russia - Khaka (44).

This is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo:
...In Canada and Greenland, the term "Eskimo" has fallen out of favor as pejorative and has been widely replaced by the term "Inuit", "Alaska Natives”, or terms specific to a particular tribe. Under U.S. and Alaskan law, however, as well as the linguistic and cultural traditions of Alaska, "Alaska Natives" refers to ALL indigenous peoples of Alaska; this includes not only groups such as the Aleut, who share a recent ancestor with the Inuit and Yupik groups, but also the largely unrelated indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast and the Dene...

No one in the family ever talked about Yupik ancestors living in Siberia - another very intriguing facet of our DNA!

Return to “World”