Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

I found Chamorro in my DNA test. What does this mean if I'm unaware of it in my family?

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

GeraldBrazell

I found Chamorro in my DNA test. What does this mean if I'm unaware of it in my family?

Postby GeraldBrazell » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:18 pm

I heard it could be "deep ancestry" but it still appeared in a top contributor for my DNA.

jakayj

Re: I found Chamorro in my DNA test. What does this mean if I'm unaware of it in my family?

Postby jakayj » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Gerald,

I checked with DNA Consultants investigators, and they gave the following answer:

Austronesian populations are generally considered deep ancestry ( meaning it is thousands of years old and beyond our ability to determine how old this link is and should be ignored). The only exception would be if you are aware of this ancestry. You can get deep ancestral matches in your top 50 matches. India is a deep ancestral match for your Romani/Gypsy match and the Middle Eastern matches are common deep ancestral matches for anyone that has Melungeon ancestry. It depends on what markers and matches your DNA " grabs."

Hope this helps.

Jakay

GeraldBrazell

Re: I found Chamorro in my DNA test. What does this mean if I'm unaware of it in my family?

Postby GeraldBrazell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Thank you so much!

I was wondering about the Chamorro blood. I have heard of it before in my family. Is the chamorro population tested for spanish or is it native islander chamorro? I was wondering :). So happy I took the test! I also heard the Native American Michigan is really cherokee? Thanks!!!

suelevin1

Postby suelevin1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Gerald, Native American- Michigan is closely associated with Cherokee but not necessarily a direct match to Cherokee. Here are two links that might help-

http://theucn.com/michigan.html

https://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/ ... tribes.htm

Regarding your Chamorros Guam match, it is Pacific Islander.

Good luck with your research!

Sue

Return to “World”