Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Surname COLONNA

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

giorgio-gardino

Surname COLONNA

Postby giorgio-gardino » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Good morning to Community,

my name is Giorgio Gardino, I'm from Italy (ASTI town).

I did DDC Jewish JFDP test; the results show that without any doubt I match ancestral Jewish population.
In particular I am descending from #44 Hungarian - Ashkenazim (n=178) , Megapopulation Jewish Rank # 6.

I was interested to this test, because the surname of my mother is COLONNA. The Family COLONNA is an important Jewish family in Turin (Piemonte) during XVIII and XIX centuries. But most of them, in the past, abjured their faith by coercion.
I knew that COLONNA were Ashkenazim and not Sephardic.
This surname is most likely the modified latinization of the name of the city of provenience, COLONIA (Köln, in Germany).

Actually I'm following a personal genealogical historycal research on my ancestors, in order to reach the Jewish ancestor group.

I'm so happy the test confirmed my historical assumptions and my suspects on my mother's ancient origin.

Best regards!

Giorgio

jakayj

Re: Surname COLONNA

Postby jakayj » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:05 am

Wonderful confirmation for you on your heritage. Sounds as if you're on the right path of discovery.

Happy we could help,

Jakay

giorgio-gardino

Postby giorgio-gardino » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 am

Hello Jakay,

many thanks for your response.

I would appreciate a lot if you could help me; the actual problem is that I should consult some register of births in the town (near Asti) where my mother lived, but they are actually under restoration for months. I will be able to consult them on next spring.

My difficult work is due to going backward in the XVII and XVIII centuries, to discover some events or items that could show ancestors that were originally Jewish and then converted to Christianesim (marranos).
This research is awfully important for me.

If I 'll success to document this genealogic sequence, I have good probability to be easier recognized by the Rabbi in the Jewish community as a Jew.

Best things, Jakay!

Giorgio

Lyndsey

Postby Lyndsey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Giorgio,

Have you tried familysearch.org?

Sheela58

Postby Sheela58 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:41 pm

Hi,
I recently updated my dna fingerprint, it's exciting to see more indepth of what my ancestors gave me, I do have Jewish 1 and 3, I do have on my mother's side the surname Colonna , they were from the Eastern shore of Accomac ,Virginia..,I was wondering if they are from the same Colonna as Georgio Gardino mentioned.

Thank you, Sheila

Return to “Jewish”