Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Jewish markers with Iberian background

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

Rose612

Re: Jewish markers with Iberian background

Postby Rose612 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:29 pm

I have Jewish 1 and Jewish 3 markers, I noticed I have 2 Portuguese-Northern, 2 Iberian Peninsula-Basque, Spanish-Extremadura, Spanish-Majorcan, Spanish-Canary Islands, under my world population matches, are any of these a Sephardi-Jewish match?

Linda

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:42 pm

That seems likely using an educated guess only as these are areas where Sephardic Jews live/d; however, this is not a direct Sephardic Jewish match to a specific population in our database. Spanish- Majorcan Jews is a possible direct match to a specific Sephardic Jewish population as is the green diamond in Israel.

Hope this helps,
Jakay

Rose612

Postby Rose612 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:45 pm

In my world population matches, Jewish (n=124) is # 28, what population does this represent as your database says you have 3 distinct Jewish populations being Israeli Jews, Hungarian Ashkenazim and Chuetas

Thank you,
Linda

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 am

Dear Linda,

Thank you for asking about the mix of Jewish individuals cited in the population referenced.

I found that the Jewish population data represent DNA samples from 124 Jewish individuals in the
collection of The National Laboratory for the Genetics of Israeli Populations, at Tel-Aviv
University. Samples were obtained by the Genetics Laboratory of the Biology Dept. at Spain’s
University of the Balearic Islands (Laboratori de Genetica, Dept. de Biologia, Universitat de les
Illes Balears), and research was supported by a grant from Spain’s General Direction of Higher
Education (Direcciòn General de Enseñanza Superior). One researcher also received a
fellowship from Spain’s Ministry of Education and Culture (Ministerio de Educaciòn y Cultura).

The population was subdivided into four groups: 25 Ashkenazi; Sephardic with 35 Turks; North African with 13 Moroccans, 13 Libyans, 13 Tunisians; Oriental with 12 Iranians (Persians) and 13 Iraqis.

Hope this helps,

Jakay

Rose612

Postby Rose612 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

Thank you for the information, this was very helpful

yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:05 pm

:D :D
dpyates wrote:Here is an information page for Majorcan Jews - Chueta (n=102) as a population match in our method: http://dnaconsultants.com/dnapops/majorcan-jews.

It is interesting to note that Israeli courts have specifically acknowledged Majorcan Chuetas as having the right of return:

"Rabbinical Court Recognizes"

http://dnaconsultants.com/_blog/DNA_Con ... s_as_Jews/

yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:12 pm

Thank you Dr Yates.

jodyb

Postby jodyb » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:24 pm

dpyates wrote:Supposedly it comes, along with green eyes, from French ancestry. I am not aware of a good book, article or site to recommend on this subject. Maybe others in this forum?

I am very interested about the "it comes along with Green Eyes, from French ancestry."

My Grandfather Cartwright was 1/2 French. His mother was from Canada. His mother was born as Canadian French. He had Green Eyes, at least my mother and one aunt has Green Eyes. Myself and all my brothers have Green Eyes. They say Green Eyes are rare but how can they be rare when all my 3 siblings have Green Eyes? It seems to be dominant in our family.

I wonder who else has this French ancestry trait.

Best Regards,
Joyb

Return to “Jewish”