Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Jewish markers with Iberian background

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

suelevin1

Jewish markers with Iberian background

Postby suelevin1 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Most of us think of Iberia (Spain and Portugal) as being Christian countries, so having Jewish markers doesn't make sense. In order to understand, you have to go back over 500 years to the days of the Spanish Inquisition. The Inquisition was established to preserve Christianity by killing heretics, usually Jews. In order to stay alive, many Jews pretended or actually converted to Christianity. The markers are also the result of intermarriage among Spanish (Sephardic) Jews and Christians.

teresapy

Re: Jewish markers with Iberian background

Postby teresapy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:09 pm

I was in my 40's before I discovered I had Jewish ancestry! ( Is this your story?) I do have both Spanish/Portuguese as well as Jewish. Here are my top 50 matches from the DNA Fingerprint Plus. Spanish is very high and I have Spanish/ Minorca ( a Sephardic Jewish match) at # 8 and Hungarian- Ashkenazim at #23. Iberian ( Spanish/Portuguese) is one of my top 10 megapopulations as is Jewish, and I have two markers for Jewish III & one for Jewish I. Teresa A. Yates - DNA Consultants

Egyptian Copts - Adaima (n = 100)
Croatian (n = 200)
Slovenian (n = 193)
Polish - Podlasie (n = 842)
Polish - Northern (n = 145)
Russia - Pskov (n = 62)
Polish (n = 870)
Spanish - Minorcan (n = 100)
Spanish - Balearic Islands (n = 113)
Melungeon (n = 40)
Belarusian - Northeastern Poland (n = 212)
Polish (n = 412)
White - U.S. (n = 102)
Polish - Podlasie (Northeast) (n = 413)
Slovac - Presov (n = 276)
Polish - Southeastern (n = 714)
Greek (n = 143)
White - New York (n = 71)
Belarusian (n = 176)
Romanian - Transylvania/Banat (n = 219)
Spanish - Majorcan (n = 103)
Greek - Northern (n = 318)
Hungarian - Ashkenazim (n = 178)
Spanish - Valencian (n = 101)
Hungarian - Vojodina (n = 291)
White - Canadian (n = 164)
Poland - Lodz (n = 1000)
Polish - Central (n = 430)
Sicilian (n = 220)
Albanian - Kosovo (n = 136)
White - Canadian (n = 83)
Italian (n = 441)
White - California (n = 75)
Serbian - Serbia / Vojvodina / Montenegro (n = 100)
Bosnian (n = 210)
U.S. Cherokee Admixed (n=62)
Iranian (n = 93)
White - North Carolina (n = 372)
Polish - Northern (n = 202)
Polish - Northern (n = 202)
Czech (n = 1141)
Albanian - Italy (n = 100)
German
Greek (n = 205)
Libyan (n = 103)
Belgian - Flemish (n = 231)
Lithuania (n = 300)
Moroccan Berbers (n = 48)
South African - European - Capetown (n = 98)
Italian (n = 1,541)

Raven

Postby Raven » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Teresa,

I have had the same experience. I was told on my father's side that I was German and Irish but recently discovered that my father's side is actually Jewish, possibly Spanish Jews. On my test Jewish was number 4 and Spanish-Majorcan was number five. I connected with some ancestors on ancestry.com and was told that my father's relatives were Jews who converted to Christianity several years ago. I also matched with someone who is related to the original Chavez conquistadors of New Mexico. I have tried to do some research but am at a loss as to how we are related. The site only told me that we are possibly fourth cousins. This person also stated that her ancestors were most likely Spanish Jews who converted.

lori

Postby lori » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Hello.

I am very new to genealogy and genetic testing. I recently received the test results for my DNA Fingerprint Plus. I am wondering just what to think about my results! I do have a question: My top two megapopulation matches are Middle Eastern and Mediterranean European. Jewish is in the middle of my list. I have two Jewish markers I & III, and under the analysis and conclusion part it lists my principal ancestral lines. Jewish is also listed in that group and in parenthesis it says "30, markers, green diamond in Israel." What does that mean exactly. It was a surprise to me to have the two top megapopulations from the Middle East area! But, I guess that connects with Jewish markers. I am also wondering if DNA Consultants knows about any connections to blood type and genetic heritage? I am Rh negative, which is a rare type and would like to know if that comes into play at all. Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Lori

suelevin1

Postby suelevin1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi, Lori- I can give you some clarity regarding your report. In the Analysis section, the items in parentheses mean that Jewish was # 30 out of your top 50, you received two markers in the marker panel, and if you look at the map on page 11, you'll see the green diamond referred to on Israel. Green is a strong match. Your other conclusion is correct- you can imagine how much intermarriage must have taken place in that area of the world over the centuries. I will pass along your question regarding blood type to Dr. Yates.

Sue

dpyates

Postby dpyates » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi, Lori, and welcome to the Jewish forum! As Sue remarked, Jewish and Middle Eastern are overlapping populations. Genetically, there is little difference between an Arab and a Jew, Palestinian and Israeli (except the Israeli may have more European admixture). You question about blood type is not really within my expertise to answer. I do know that A- is rare, but I believe 0- is quite common. Both my wife and I are A-. Supposedly it comes, along with green eyes, from French ancestry. I am not aware of a good book, article or site to recommend on this subject. Maybe others in this forum?
Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, http://dnaconsultants.com

lori

Postby lori » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Thank you so much, Sue and Dr. Yates for your replies - and for answering so quickly! I appreciate the insights and will continue to read and research so I can deepen my understanding. Genealogy and DNA testing is a pretty fascinating topic. Thanks again for your help.

Lori

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:15 am

Hi,
Rh negative factor has been discussed in the past, I will look for the info to repost. It is the Rh Negative Blood Group, that is rare. It occurs in 15% of the population, most traces to the Basques, O- m occurs in Native Americans, I have that type, possibly is mostly Northern European, and Southern France. Type Rh Negative Blood into a search engine and you get some interesting hits, from descendants of the Nephlim to Ancient Astronauts. It seems the Atlanteans were O-. Could be also Children of Israel. Medical issues come with it I'm learning, besides the problem with having a RH positive Baby.

The Basque History of the World
Found at: https://books.google.com/books?id=A39NF ... ve&f=false
Written by: Mark Kurlansky

Page 20-21
Less subjective physical evidence of an ancient and distinct group has also surfaced. In the beginning of the twentieth century, it was discovered that all blood was one of three types: A, B, or O. Basques have the highest concentration of type O in the world-more than 50 percent of the population-with an even higher percentage in remote areas where the language is best preserved, such as Soule. Most of the rest are type A. Type B is extremely rare among Basques. With the finding that Irish, Scots, Corsicans, and Cretans also have an unusually high incidence of type O, speculation ran wild that these peoples were somehow related to Basques. But then, in 1937, came the discovery of the rhesus factor, more commonly known as Rh positive or Rh negative. Basques were found to have the highest incidence of Rh negative blood of any people in the world, significantly higher than the rest of Europe, even significantly higher than neighboring regions of France and Spain. Cro-Magnon theorists point out that other places known to have been occupied by Cro-Magnon man, such as the Atlas Mountains of Morocco and the Canary Islands, also have been found to have a high incidence of Rh negative.

Twenty-seven percent of Basques have O Rh negative blood. Rh negative blood in a pregnant woman can fatally poison a fetus that has positive blood. Since World War II, intervention techniques to save the fetus have been developed, but it is probable that throughout history, the rate of miscarriage and stillborn births among the Basques was extremely high, which may be one of the reasons they remained a small population on a limited amount of land while other populations, especially in Iberia, grew rapidly.

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:00 am

Website sources RH Negative stats
http://the-red-thread.net/blood.html
Maya's Peru highest percent of O
98 and 100% respectively.

Note: Blackfeet Indians have 'A' blood,  while other native Indians have '0' blood.   The Peruivan Indians have '0' blood as well. 

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:01 am

Famous Type O. http://whatsmybloodtype.org/type_o.html
Elvis Presley, Prince Charles, Al Capone, and Queen Elizabeth., John Lennon

Thru research have found my relationship to Queen Elizabeth is 26 cousins plus some removed

Return to “Jewish”