Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

1 Jewish II & 2 Jewish III

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

MYTJennings

1 Jewish II & 2 Jewish III

Postby MYTJennings » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:10 am

Tested a year ago, just getting around to trying to understand all of this. Have been working on a family tree for many years, thought DNA testing would help. Trying to understand what it means to have 2 markers in Jewish III? Is this both parents? I have confirmation mother has Ashkenazi heritage, so that explains Jewish II. But apparently she has Jewish III also; as well as my father? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Yvette

jakayj

Re: 1 Jewish II & 2 Jewish III

Postby jakayj » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes, with just one marker, autosomal testing cannot distinguish which parent passed you the marker, but if you have two, then each parent passed you one.

Continued good work on your research.

Jakay

MYTJennings

Postby MYTJennings » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 am

Thank you for your reply and clarification....I would like to ask one more thing. In looking around the forum I noticed a comment that Jewish II was "relatively rare". Would you please elaborate on this statement, if possible. I really appreciate it...so much of this info is rather intimidating for me. I'm new to ALL of this. Even after reading the explanation of the 4 types of markers I still lack a full understanding of what this means. With a more clear understanding it may help with my family research. I do appreciate it. Yvette

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Yvette,

Historical events play an important part in the human story. Jewish II alleles (markers) are characteristic among the Ashkenazi (German) Jews. In mid-20th century, the German Holocaust was launched by the Nazis, and millions of people were killed, including 6 million Jews. Individuals and whole families were wiped out, shrinking the Jewish Ashkenazi population. Certainly, some survived, but the numbers remaining and rebuilding are still low.

Hope this helps explain why the markers are rarer than the others.

Jakay

shalion

Postby shalion » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:24 am

Hi my name is shalion. I have Jewish 1 2 3 markers. For Jewish 1 and 2 only have one marker that mean one of my parents have that marker. For Jewish 3 I have two markers. I wonder if Jewish marker 3 is Sephardim or Middle Eastern Jews. I took a dna for helix it show I have 5% Iberian Peninsula ancestry does possibly mean I have Sephardim. Also from Genebase through my matches shows Sephardic Portugual as well through my matches as well.

shalion

Postby shalion » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:34 am

Jewish III have two markers I wonder thats my father father as well as my mother father. I knew we had Sephardim blood in us for years. But I dont have a Spanish nor Portuguese Jewish name less its deep in the line. For helix dna have. 5 percent Iberian Peninsula Ancestry Spain and Portugal. Then for my Heritage did a test with them I have 1.9 Central America ancestry. Alot of them are Mestizos mixed African and Spanish. So Im asking is thats the case. But Im going to take the premium test with you guys to get more of a confirmation

shalion

Postby shalion » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:35 am

My name is Shalion Jewish III have two markers I wonder thats my father father as well as my mother father. I knew we had Sephardim blood in us for years. But I dont have a Spanish nor Portuguese Jewish name less its deep in the line. For helix dna have. 5 percent Iberian Peninsula Ancestry Spain and Portugal. Then for my Heritage did a test with them I have 1.9 Central America ancestry. Alot of them are Mestizos mixed African and Spanish. So Im asking is thats the case. But Im going to take the premium test with you guys to get more of a confirmation

shalion

Postby shalion » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:18 pm

I shalion sent three emails. Im looking for a answer to my question

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:20 am

Shalion, Probably someone who works for DNA Consultants can help more. I have one Jewish III and two Jewish IV markers. If I am reading correctly that the Jewish II would be the stronger for actual Jewish heritage as opposed to a relation to areas like middle east. I have some Iberian as well but had no idea of Jewish but my sister shows some Ashkenazi so perhaps. Dr. Yates has some books in relation to Jewish/Muslim or Crypto Jewish in Scotland and Colonial America. Still reading on those.
Regards.
Marcia

shalion

Postby shalion » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 am

Thank you Marcia

Return to “Jewish”