Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

World Matches

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

edwardbrown

World Matches

Postby edwardbrown » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 am

I received my Basic Jewish DNA Fingerprint test results yesterday. I have a couple of questions about the World Matches section. It says,

“The following populations—though not in strict order of importance— proved to be the leading matches for you on a multi-locus basis.”

However, the populations have a Rank number in front of each one. What does the rank number mean, if anything?

Also, there are 50 populations listed, followed by ‘...’ then 3 more populations. Does that mean that there are more that aren’t listed?

Just generally confused about these two things.

Thanks,
EB

jakayj

Re: World Matches

Postby jakayj » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello,

The number before each population in the Top 50 World populations ranks the populations (in descending order) as to the number of matches your genetic profile had in each. The population ranked #1 had the most, #2 had the second most, etc.

We give the top 50 as they show the top populations in which your profile found matches. You had ordered a specialized report, and the populations within that specialty came in below the top 50 so your report lists those relevant populations for you and where they ranked on the matches scale.

Hope this helps.

edwardbrown

Postby edwardbrown » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks jakayj, that is helpful. I still have a question of clarification.

As to the number of matches my genetic profile has in each of the ranked population groups, is the number (most, least) an absolute number of matches or matches relative to the population sample size?

Best,
EB

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm

EB,

If you're referring to the (n = XXX) numbers, those are the number of participants scientists had in each population study and do not reflect the number of matches.

Jakay

edwardbrown

Postby edwardbrown » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:17 pm

I know that, my question is about ranking method.

To clarify,

The PDF report shows ranking and N for each population. What it doesn’t show is number of matches per population, so I’m asking if rank is based on absolute number of matches per population or proportion number of matches per population?

Thanks.
Last edited by edwardbrown on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello again,

Your rankings are based on the relative frequency of you matching each population. Your top four populations are found within one nation. On a relative basis, you matched the top one more closely than the other three, but the differences might be slight.

If you want a more personal explanation, you may call our office 888-806-2588 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mountain Time Monday through Friday. Customers' reports are confidential so we do not discuss report details in a public forum.

Hope this helps.

Jakay

edwardbrown

Postby edwardbrown » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks, that answers my question.

Return to “Jewish”