Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Jewish 1 and 3 Alleles

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

myronidafoeiii

Jewish 1 and 3 Alleles

Postby myronidafoeiii » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:06 pm

Greetings,

I am attempting to understand my results. I have an allele for Jewish 1 and an allele for Jewish 3 but they are in the same column. What does this mean? Does this mean I am Jewish?

Thank you,

Myron

dpyates

Re: Jewish 1 and 3 Alleles

Postby dpyates » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:59 pm

The columns register a hit for that marker which you received from one parent. It's not apparent on the face of it which parent contributed that marker to you if there is only one check mark on a row. But if there are two on a row you can conclude you got that marker from both parents. Remember, however, marker results are the roughest indication of ancestry. If you have significant Jewish ancestry I would expect you to have several matches in your world, megapop and European results to Jewish populations, for instance Majorca Chuetas, Hungarian Ashkenazim and/or Israeli Jews. All these have population information pages on dnaconsultants.com.
Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, http://dnaconsultants.com

Danilynn

3 Eastern Europe Alleles and 3 Jewish Alleles

Postby Danilynn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:28 am

I have known since I was young that I am Cherokee and I am a Cherokee citizen. But none of my features show native heritage. I know that this doesn't mean anything, because my Cherokee ancestry is known to me.

However, I have always felt that I was Jewish too. But was hesitant to say so without known Jewish ancestry. My DNA Consultants report shows I have:
European 1 ..........1 Allele
European 2 ..........2 Allele
Eastern European 1 ......... 1 Allele
Eastern European 2 ......... 2 Allele
Jewish 1 ...........1 Allele
Jewish 3 ........... 2 Allele

If Jewish 3 is common, what does that mean? Does it mean that Jewish 3 dilutes this Jewish 3 Alleles?

And is there a possibility I could find out what tribe my ancestry comes from?

Thanks for your time
Dani

jakayj

Re: Jewish 1 and 3 Alleles

Postby jakayj » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Good afternoon, Dani,

Answering your first question, "common" means widespread not diluted. It's a strong allele if widespread.

Regarding testing for tribe, I asked and was told a premium male or female is the only way to find out further information and that would most likely not tell the tribe, just another possible clue, no guarantee. As a female, you would have to have a close male relative take the premium male test as women do not carry the Y chromosome.

Jakay

shalion

Re: Jewish 1 2 and 3 Alleles

Postby shalion » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:41 am

Good evening I have Jewish 1 2,3 and both sides 3. Does that mean its deep in my lineage Sephardic. I see Angolan, Angolan Morrocan Morrocan Berber Morrocan Arab Spanish Morrocan Arab and North African Maghrebi. In my top 10 saw Iberian Peninsula and Iberian American and Middle Eastern. Also in my top 20 in megapopulation Middle Eastern Iberian Iberian American Middle Eastern and Jewish. Also in European population #4 Portugal.

Return to “Jewish”