Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Crypto Jews

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

yellowrose

Crypto Jews

Postby yellowrose » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:53 pm

While researching my mother’s ancestry, I have discovered that through her mother’s line we go back to John Howland and His wife through the Gorhams.
Much to my surprise, I came across an article regarding the pilgrims. In summary the article suggested that they were Sephardim. This is completely different than what has historically been taught in the education system.
I am interested in learning more about this and would like to know the best place to begin.
Thank -you

christopherswink8

Re: Crypto Jews

Postby christopherswink8 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 pm

I believe it is highly likely that some of the Pilgrims were of Sephardic origins. I came across this article on a DNA study of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock landing.

http://www.ijhssnet.com/journals/Vol_8_ ... 2018/1.pdf

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:09 am

Christopher,

This is a link to "Jews and Muslims in British Colonial America" by Dr. Yates and Elizabeth Hirschman :https://dnaconsultants.com/product/bookstore/jews-and-muslims-in-british-colonial-america/ which can be fouind on DNA Consutants' website.

They have very detailed records of ship manifests and Colonial documents to help families trace their Jewish and Muslim roots in the New World. Fascinating to me because it discusses precisely the myths most pupils learned in school about our founding fathers and mothers.

I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Jakay

christopherswink8

Postby christopherswink8 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 pm

Jakay,

Thank you. I will purchase the book. I think it is likely that I have Sephardic ancestors. But like my Native American and Angolan/ Congolese ancestor/ ancestors, I have yet to find them. Also. It seems that our Democratic society that was formed in those days maybe based on a combination of Iroquois and Hebraic way of life. Which they don’t and haven't taught us in school.

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:49 pm

Christopher,

I agree we may not have heard/learned about everything in school. Even if it's taught or in the textbooks, people expect teachers to cover everything in all subjects, and I just don't think there's enough time. The best we can hope for is that schooling gives us a thirst for knowledge and learning that we carry throughout life to educate ourselves.

That said, I do remember studying about the Iroquois who provided an example of representative government for our federal structure. Don't remember a Hebrew example, but I may have been daydreaming. Kids do that a lot. Haha.

Most of us on here have a love of learning, it seems to me so I'd say our education was a good one.

Jakay

yellowrose

Postby yellowrose » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:16 am

Jakay and Christopher,
Thank you for the good information. I have ordered the book and am waiting for it to arrive. :D :D

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Christopher and Yellowrose,

We've also published another book, "Book of Jewish and Crypto-Jewish Surnames (here's the link: https://dnaconsultants.com/product/book ... -surnames/ ) that gives insight on those. It's available in paperback and as a PDF.

Enjoy your explorations!

Jakay

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:20 am

Interestingly I found I have a Mayflower connection on my mom's paternal line. Isaac and Mary Allerton 11th great grandparents and daugther Mary who was 4 at time of voyage my 10th great grandmother. Wait there might be more than one now. Love Brewster 10th and William Brewster 11th grandfather. Might be more I guess the marrying pool pretty small. Literally just finding the Brewster connection as I wanted to double check the Allerton. :o Of course now I see a lot of if not Mayflower early settlers in that line.

shalion

Postby shalion » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:23 pm

Hi my name is Shawn my Y dna is Angolan Angolan Cabinda through my father line. I see that is the heated part of the map of my y dna. I see Brazil and the Spanish Caribbean which makes sense to me. Also on the autosomal dna test is Jewish Sephardim. On the Megapopulation it shows Middle Eastern Iberian and Iberian American. On the European population its shows Portugal and Turkish. Also the top 50 it show Angolan Angolan Cabinda Moroccan Spanish Morrocan Arab Morrocan Berber North African Maghrebi Spanish Morrocan Arab. It confirms my Sephardic roots. Im trying to find out deep in my lineage do we have a Sephardic surname. I know Stancil is translated into Stencil is Polish Jewish. Estanislao is Stancil is Sephardic. Im still doing research hopefully one day will find all what I need

Return to “Jewish”