Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

familytreedna MTdna test confirms Native

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

arroyah

familytreedna MTdna test confirms Native

Postby arroyah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Several years ago I took the mitochondrial test with DNA Consultants and also the 18 marker Ethnic Panel. The ethnic test confirmed Native American from one parent and the other Native American II (Hispanic). My maternal haplogroup is T so I was invited to participate in the Phase II Anomalous Cherokee Study group.
Last year I decided to take a mitochondrial test with Familytreedna so that I would have cousin matches. My maternal line ends with my 5th great grandmother so I am hoping to extend that line. Since most of my family lines, including maternal have been in the United States since colonial Times, I was not surprised to see matches from the United States. I was surprised that I have matches that show United States (Native American).

I do have matches to other countries which was expected. I called familytreedna and asked to speak to someone about my mitochondrial test. I asked the woman they connected me to if my showed that there was Native American attached to it even though I do not have o e of the recognized Native haplogroups. She said yes.

I have two exact matches only and they are at a dead-end with their ancestor as well but I have a close match who's ancestor is a Nancy (Nan Chi) Bolen. Her mother is reported to have been a full-blood Cherokee. Nancy (Nan Chi) was born ca 1742 in Stafford Co., VA where my 5th great grandmother in my maternal line, Elizabeth Hensley was also born ca 1770. I wonder if we are sharing the same Cherokee ancestors.
What does it mean for familytreedna to be showing NA in a non Native line? I have no idea. How can Native DNA be "attached" when they say no autosomal DNA is used in a Y dna or MTdna test?
All I can say is that first, my test confirms what my maternal great grandmother told my mother which was that there was Indian blood in her family and two, that it confirms my MTdna test with DNA Consultants.

meg82

Re: familytreedna MTdna test confirms Native

Postby meg82 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:43 pm

Hello Arroyah. I took a few tests from different companies as well. I took a test with ancestry.com and my results showed no native DNA. With DNA Consultants I received a match to Cherokee and Native American Florida. What's interesting is that my mother received the same matches but I had more matches and they were ranked higher. I only received 1 marker from one parent. I received matches to Belem anazonians and Guatemalan mestizo. The only thing I can think of is that my dad is native also and that I received the marker from him. I don't think it's possible for a grandparent to pass more native DNA to a grandchild than to a child. Both of my maternal grandparents are native based on my moms test. It's just so confusing.

suelevin1

Postby suelevin1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:05 pm

Meg82 and Arroyah, I am the administrator for the site and we are actively trying to eliminate the spam. We may have to delete all users in order to quickly clean it up. If so, please reregister. I apologize for the confusion and we hope to have the site up and running cleanly soon. Thanks for understanding.

arroyah

Postby arroyah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Ok.

Return to “Cherokee”