Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

What should I do?

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

bailey12

What should I do?

Postby bailey12 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:54 pm

I got my results back on my Special Cherokee Match panel yesterday. Based on my results, I was told it looks probable I have at least some degree of Cherokee ancestry {"somewhat likely" as stated in the report, in "significant amounts"}. What should I do with this information?

I am still working with a few of my genetic matches with documented Cherokee ancestry on 23andme and Gedmatch. I have a research project lined up for towards the end of this year in the fall. I hope that though researching them and our shared matches {We think we might have a connection to the Thompson family of Smoky Junction Tennessee} we can find our common ancestors and hence, our possible shared Cherokee ancestry with paper trail.

How should I use this report in regards to my paper trail research? Should I use the test to confirm the presence of Cherokee ancestry for now and the paper trail later on to prove descent?

I took the test thinking I should use it as a way to confirm Cherokee ancestry, because I won't have the time or money to research for a few months now, and then use the research later on as proof of descent from the Cherokee people.

How does this approach sound?

Raven

Re: What should I do?

Postby Raven » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi Bailey. I'm glad you received a positive result. If you don't mind me asking what was your ranking? I'm curious because mine did not say probable but it also didn't say significant amount. I feel the same way as you. I cannot afford an expert to help me research this. I'm not trying to join a tribe or receive any type of benefits I just would like to know my history.

bailey12

Re: What should I do?

Postby bailey12 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:26 am

Mine was #183 and it was combined with my match to the Michigan Native population, which contained many Cherokees.

Return to “Cherokee”