Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Do I have Cherokee Ancestry?

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

Chavez

Re: Do I have Cherokee Ancestry?

Postby Chavez » Tue May 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Is it possible to receive a match in the top 20 but actually have ancestry in another tribe with similar DNA?

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed May 04, 2016 12:45 am

Good day,

I've left your question for an investigator and hope to have an answer soon.

Jakay

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed May 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Hello,

Yes, this is possible especially if it is a small tribe or a tribe like Blackfoot that has no published data on it. We have all data that is published in academic and forensic science. It is also possible if you are related to a tribe that was wiped out as you are matching living populations.

If you have additional questions, you can call us at 888-806-2588 M-F 10-6 MT.

Hope this helps.

Jakay

Return to “Cherokee”