Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Cherokee Adair Family

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

bailey12

Cherokee Adair Family

Postby bailey12 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:05 am

I found out yesterday that I have a DNA match with a person that triangulates with John Adair (1753-1815) as the common ancestor. I also learned that the Adair family had some Cherokee ties. However, it is a bit unclear to me how John Adair fits into this picture. Let me explain:

First, there are conflicting stories on where he was born. Some say in the New World, some say Scotland and some say Ireland. HOWEVER, I did read in several paces that his father, Dr. James Robert Adair {along with his brothers and father} left Europe for America approximately twenty years BEFORE John Adair was born.

Secondly, there is an issue of who John's mother was. I read on some family trees online some more self-conflicting stories. A few family trees stated that his mother was named Esther McBride, who was born in Connecticut YET John was born in Ireland. To make matters even more confusing, the same tree stated John Adair was half Cherokee.

Lastly, I don't know how much, if any, Native ancestry John had. Some say he was half-Cherokee, others fully European but I've only found one scholarly look at his father. Here is a link:

http://ncpedia.org/biography/adair-james-robert

If anyone here knows anything about the Adair family and the heritage of John Adair, it would help.

James

Re: Cherokee Adair Family

Postby James » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:06 am

I have come across four or five John Adair, but your dates match Gen. John Adair, born in America. I don't know much about the family. I have one Adair female who married into a side branch of my family.

tylerj89

Postby tylerj89 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:54 am

I was researching a possible choctaw/cherokee ancestor by the name of Mary Vaughan and a digital copy of the record i was looking at from like 1895 or 1900 said he died and in the notes it said to see Adair, Adams that was the end of my research couldnt find anything more not even sure if the Vaughan lady was my ancestor or not because it was so difficult to find enough records on her. research was done on ancestry.com

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I too am a descendant of a John Adair ( my 5th GGF ) that came from Antrim Ireland, born in Ireland in 1732 and died in what is now, Fountain City Tennessee, in 1827. He was born to Christian Adair and Barbara Jotter Yoder born in Ulster Ireland in 1734 and died in the same place as John. I've included a link below that tells about his life after reaching the mainland.

http://fountaincitytnhistory.info/People2-Adair.htm

They had a son that came to the mainland with them named John Adair II. John also had a brother named James Adair that came to the mainland that married a Chickasha woman and lived among the various indian tribes trading with them for more than 40 years and he wrote a book called "History of the American Indians" which is available on Amazon and at Barnes and Noble.

Return to “Cherokee”