Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Blackfox-Inali-Enoli

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

janedoern49

Blackfox-Inali-Enoli

Postby janedoern49 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:30 pm

I descend from Blackfox-Inali Principle Chief-Cherokee from 1801-1811 and daughter Attukullakulla via their daughter Mary Ann Black(Fox) and her husband William Davis.

I have a group of descends that have lineage to Chief Blackfox through their genealogy and I wanted to know if a group of us could have DNA done through DNA Consultants that could prove or not prove a direct link to Chief Blackfox/Attakullakulla. I would like to know if this is possible.

dpyates

Re: Blackfox-Inali-Enoli

Postby dpyates » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:14 am

Hi, I'm not sure how this could work. I also am (doubly) descended from two of Black Fox's daughters, Mary Ann and Nancy. From what I can piece together, their mother passed them a J1a haplotype. It led to late adult onset blindness in descendants that also married J's. There was a lot of intermarriage. The original clan was Paint Clan. Here's a footnote I had in my book, Old World Roots of the Cherokee, in the chapter "Sand Mountain."

congenital blindness All of the sons of Mahala Jane Blevins, my 3rd-great-grandmother, including my great-great-grandfather Jackson Cooper, went blind, probably from Leber’s Hereditary Optic Neuritis. In technical terms, there is a 100% penetrance of LHON in males inheriting T14484C primary mutation, and four secondary mutations (T4216C, G13708A, G15812A, G15257A), which belong to the European haplogroup J. This would mean that Mahala Jane Blevins was of female haplogoup J, the classic Jewish ancestral type responsible for about one-quarter of Jewish lines. See Povalko, N., Zakharova, E., Rudenskaia, G., Akita, Y., Hirata, K., Toyojiro, M., Koga, Y. (2005) "A new sequence variant in mitochondrial DNA associated with high penetrance of Russian Leber hereditary optic neuropathy". Mitochondrion 5 (3): 194-199.
Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, http://dnaconsultants.com

janedoern49

Re: Blackfox-Inali-Enoli

Postby janedoern49 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I just thought it would be a possibility. I descend mostly on maternal side from my dad's line. William Davis and Mary Anne
black(fox), Rhoda Davis and John Holland, Elizabeth S. Holland and Lorenzo Dow Ivey (Lumbee), Rhoda Jane Ivey and William Augusta May Lyon, George William Lyon and Harriet Catherine Maples, John William Lyon and Dosha Florence Maples(Vann Cherokee), Willie Thomas Lyon and Hattie Louise Lambert(Choctaw?), then me.

Donna

Return to “Cherokee”