Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Pinn Family, Cherokee???

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

bailey12

Pinn Family, Cherokee???

Postby bailey12 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 pm

I recently discovered a great-great-great-great-etc uncle on my biological mother's side in mid 1700s-early 1800s. His name was Raleigh Pinn, and I read that he was part Powhatan, part Cherokee. I was able to verify the Powhatan but as for the Cherokee, it seems to come from the lore of his descendants- I've read a book and found some pages online by them. Does anyone know if he and his family did in fact have Cherokee blood?

I descend from one of his sisters- Sarah "Sally" Pinn. Some non-sourced public family trees on Ancestry.com claim they were only half-siblings, and that her mother was Ann Kesterson. However, Ann Kesterson is mentioned in documented sources as the wife of their brother John and NOT as a wife of their father. So I'm inclined to believe this story than the former.

I was just curious if anyone knew where the Pinns' alleged Cherokee bloodline came from. I'm considering having this line researched but wanted to know if anyone knew anything about this.

James

Re: Pinn Family, Cherokee???

Postby James » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:24 am

Have you seen the Virginia state Senate resolution recognizing the United Cherokee Tribe of Virginia? They refer to Raleigh Pinn as Wiccocomico and Cherokee, but there is no indication of where the information comes from.

Return to “Cherokee”