Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Cherokee's in Mexico

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

brmw90

Cherokee's in Mexico

Postby brmw90 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Not many people know, but the Cherokee's did reach Mexico as a result of the trail of tears. They resided in Coahuila, MX.

One of the most influential Cherokee's, Sequoya (inventor of the Cherokee alphabet), went to Mexico to contact those who may have fled to other parts of Mexico. Many also do not know that Sequoya passed away in Tamaulipas, MX at the age of 73.

cnm02.gif
cnm02.gif (34.72 KiB) Viewed 23118 times

jakayj

Re: Cherokee's in Mexico

Postby jakayj » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm one of the many who did not know this. We learned about the Trail of Tears in elementary school, but not all its ramifications. We learned many settled in Oklahoma and some stayed behind if they could, but not where else their descendants went.

jodyb

Re: Cherokee's in Mexico

Postby jodyb » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:34 am

I was not going to comment here but I was very confused about seeing the Mexico and other Central and South American markers when I have one blood grandparent related to the Cherokee which came up as marker #2 right after marker #1 Chippewa. I assumed ancestors traveled but this is a whole new perspective.

Return to “Cherokee”