Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

At a loss

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

Southernruby1966

At a loss

Postby Southernruby1966 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:54 pm

I had a Cherokee DNA test done back in April and it came back with Cherokee admix n=62. It is thus highely likely you have significant amounts of Cherokee Ancestry. My problem is I have ran into a dead end in finding out who my ancestor is. According to info I have found on Ancestry.com thru people that it would have been a 4th great grandmother that was married to Daniel Brown born 1801-1803 in North Carolina. They where in Tennessee around 1840 to 1847 and she passed away in 1843. No one knows her name and have not been able to find any info.

Is there any test that would link me to clans or certain family members to do some tracing. Like others I am not looking for tribal membership, I just want to find out this info for my mother before its to late since she's in her early 80's.

We were both tested thru 23andme and know that the heritage is on Chromosome 20 from segment 1000000 to 9000000. Mother is 0.2% and I am 0.1%, our halogroup is T1a1.

Thanks for any help.

Gail

jakayj

Re: At a loss

Postby jakayj » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Dr. Donald Yates, principal investigator, says that Givens was a colonial Virginia and early Tennessee surname I have referred to in several of my genealogy books. Some of them were known to have taken Cherokee brides in the Longhunter period (before 1790).

Hope this helps.

Jakay

James

Re: At a loss

Postby James » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 am

You might try gedmatch if you haven't already. You describe a common problem for that time period.

Return to “Cherokee”