Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Cherokee ranking

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

joemaxted

Cherokee ranking

Postby joemaxted » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Just got my Cherokee test back. I wasn't expecting to see Cherokee at #11. I also have Michigan at #25, also not expected. And another Cherokee at #69... That one I kinda expected. My grandmother was Native, and so far most test have me as a little Native, but more African and Mid East. So I kinda made peace with thinking we weren't as Native as I thought. Should I be excited with a # so hi? at 11? I also have a low match with Florida, at #95, should I consider that as noise? Family histories and paper trails are Choctaw and Cherokee... Would love to know more about that Michigan too... I am very pleased with the results, just need to know if I should be excited

jakayj

Re: Cherokee ranking

Postby jakayj » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:45 am

I think you should be excited to have three matches to Cherokee populations in your top 100 World Matches. Native American - Michigan is also closely linked with Cherokee. As DNA Consultants states, these DNA matches are for your personal research only and are not taken by the tribes or the U.S. government as a basis for enrollment or benefits. These tests help you better understand your ancestral lines.

Hope that helps,

Jakay

pkoelbl

Postby pkoelbl » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 am

I took the NA Fingerprint Test and then upon recommendation of those results did the Cherokee Test.. I am not sure I completely understand either one.. I have the email from both but it is ALL white noise to me.

I would love to know and understand my family tree and heritage better! Would also love to have the raw data.. is this possible?

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm

On page 1 of your Native American DNA report is your genetic profile listing marker values found at the sites used for identifying ethnicity. This is the raw data gleaned from your DNA by the laboratory.

Hope this helps in your search for understanding,

Jakay

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello,

I just got my results though I did do the NA Fingerprint test.

My #1 was US Cherokee Enrolled (n=33), my #5 was Native American Florida (n=105) and #42 was Native American Lumbee (n=106). This was much higher than I expected. I also had a lot of "hispanic" but I am supposed to be part Portuguese on dad's side and the Native American a rumor on mom's side (I had a photo of a maternal line relative maybe my 1st or 2nd Great Grandmother and she looked Indian, much darker than her husband in photo... and that part of the family has various stories 3rd cousin family like so and so was 100% Native American named White Horse aka the Medicine Man, or 4th cousin rumor someone died on the Trail of Tears as a child).

I had only one check on the Native II allele and none on the Native I, I did have "Jewish" III (1) and Jewish IV (2)(which I believe more likely Kurd/Turkish or other middle eastern), and Sub Saharan African I, II (1 ea.) and SSA III (2) and then European I (1) and European II (2) - which is more southern European.

I wonder if I just have a combination that mimics Cherokee admixture? I am mostly White European but various DNA tests (that vary greatly) have shown hints of West Asian, West African, sometimes Levant or S. Asian on others. 23andme had an almost non-existant can't call it either way E.Asian/Native American less than point one percent.

Trying to understand what those Native figures at #1, 5, 42 mean. I know the n=# is number in the sample group. Is a high match like a #1 US Enrolled Cherokee just I match a profile or I match people?

Thank you.

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:26 pm

DNA Consultants rankings are according to how many profiles within our 492 living populations your profile matches. As an example, your #1 ranking would show your profile matched more profiles in that population of people in the study than any other population. The #2 ranking indicates your profile's next highest number of matches and so on.

We do not give percentages because ours is based on forensic and academic science that acknowledges no living population is 100 percent pure, and no one can be 30 percent (or any percent) of something that is not 100 percent. All populations are mixed.

Genetics is not the same as genealogy and cannot tell you to whom, precisely, you are related. It can open new lines of inquiry as I did not know I had Native American in my background so now I can add that search to my explorations, and it can confirm family stories of ancestors with Native American markers, Polish markers, Asia, Sub-Saharan African, etc.

Not two people (except identical twins) have the same genetic profile. The way genetic markers are passed down, one sibling may get a specific marker and a sibling does not. Think eye or hair color.

Hope this helps.

Jakay

Return to “Cherokee”