Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Enrolled Cherokees

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

Raven

Enrolled Cherokees

Postby Raven » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:50 pm

I was wondering where the sample of the enrolled Cherokees came from. I thought that I had read they were from North Carolina? Would this be the Eastern band of Cherokee Indians? I matched with the admixed populations but not the enrolled.

jakayj

Re: Enrolled Cherokees

Postby jakayj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Raven,

I checked on the Enrolled sampled population and was told they are from Georgia so they likely are part of the Eastern Band. As we know, the genetic alleles reveal connections our family histories often don't include.

I had no idea I had any Native until I got my results. I have Cherokee Admixed (n=92) at #14 and Admixed (n=62) at #40. Not in the Top 50 are a few South American populations and a few from the northern tier of North America.

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:36 am

I am the opposite matching the Enrolled Cherokee as my #1 but not the others. Then my sister none of the Cherokee were top 50 and only Lumbee. I had Lumbee around my 42nd of top 50 World matches. I also had Florida Native high, like top 5. My sister showed a lot of African, Jamaica or African American. None of our family that far South (Georgia nor Florida) but did have some in North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia.

We both had Spanish Andalusian high. Both have various Brazilian results. Croatian. Maybe Lumbee instead? Not sure if I can get my brother to do this and see what shows up for him.

dpyates

Postby dpyates » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:10 pm

It's not possible to determine where the 33 Enrolled Cherokee were sampled, maybe in California where the U of C at Davis lab and authors were located, maybe in North Carolina, but they were all enrolled card carrying members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, whose members live around Cherokee, N.C. in the Great Smoky Mountains. Don't know how Georgia got to be the answer....
Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, http://dnaconsultants.com

Return to “Cherokee”