Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Possible False Hispanic match if you have NA ancestry

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

teresapy

Possible False Hispanic match if you have NA ancestry

Postby teresapy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi All,
Please note that if you have Native American ancestry as well as European, you can get a false Hispanic match ( including Brazil). Why? The Spanish / Portuguese settled the British Isles long ago. Most anyone that has European ancestry will have this among their matches for this reason- even if it is deep ancestry. We think of someone that is Hispanic as a Spaniard who married an American Indian - a stereotype, forgive me, but it helps to explain this possible false match. For this reason, DNA doesn't understand if you truly have Hispanic or if you have Native American ancestry on one side of your ancestry and European on in another line ( with at least deep ancestry for SP/ Portuguese). For this reason, if you get a match to Hispanic in the DNA Fingerprint Plus and have both Native & European ancestry- you need to have other confirmation for a Hispanic match (including Brazil) for Hispanic ancestry. Teresa Yates

emmdee2

Re: Possible False Hispanic match if you have NA ancestry

Postby emmdee2 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:18 am

Hello Teresa.

I suspect mine are false due to this- I have two Native (Cherokee and Native FL population) in top 5 then I did have Portuguese at #8 and 9, Iberian Andalusian at #2, then Brazilian pops in there at #6 and several of those and other Hispanic scattered. Green dots on map over much of Central and South America.

Other than direct knowledge through paper trail genealogy, what would be 'other confirmation? My husband is Mexican, he is around 45% or so European, about same NA and then rest African and sometimes shows some SE Asian. I tend to show as much or more Iberian depending on the test.

Marcia

Shari

Postby Shari » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Teresa, thanks so much for your note, “We think of someone that is Hispanic as a Spaniard who married an American Indian….”

Without this valuable clue, I would never have figured out where my 38 (out of 50) Hispanic World Population DNA Matches came from and I would be forever baffled and wondering! It’s been so frustrating searching and finding absolutely no Hispanic surnames in my dad’s family tree as my last post of July 10, 2016, indicated.

Because of your clue, I believe I have found both - my mysterious stereotypical Hispanic great…grandfather and his spouse, my American Indian great…grandmother.

None of my 38 WPM matched my mother’s Fingerprint Plus list so I have to assume Dad’s Hispanic DNA is the stronger.

My mother’s ancestors came from Scotland in the 1880s. Her Fingerprint Plus test showed eight Portuguese, five Spanish, one Columbian, five Brazilian and one of the Iberian Peninsula. I suspect her mother’s paternal line was the major source with a Berber Jewish surname known to have been from Morocco. These ancestors likely migrated north to Scotland over the earlier centuries.

Dad’s stereotypical Hispanic and American Indian great…grandparents lived in New Amsterdam in the 1600s where Dad had several Huguenot and Walloon ancestors, emigrants from the Netherlands.

These are my top five WPM:

1 Russia - Chukchi (n = 15)

2 Colombian - Boyaca (n = 120)

3 Mexican - Hidalgo - Metztitlan (n = 180)

4 Hispanic - Minnesota (n = 151)

5 Hispanic - Minnesota (n = 75)

My Hispanic great…grandfather is probably represented by my #2 - Columbian - Boyaca and my #3 Mexican - Hidalgo - Metztitkan World Population Matches. Did Dad’s Hispanic great…grandfather arrive in New Amsterdam from Columbia, South America or from Mexico? 

From Wikipedia - “…South Americans” were part of the 17th Century New Netherland population… The term New Netherland Dutch generally includes all the Europeans who came to live there, but may also refer to Africans, Indo-Caribbeans, South Americans and even the Native Americans who were integral to the society…”

I’m wondering if this Hispanic great…grandfather’s American Indian spouse is the source of my #1 ranked Russia - Chukchi ancestry. She was likely from one of the local Native American tribes in New Amsterdam.

From Wikipedia - “The first trading partners of the New Netherlanders were the Algonquian who lived in the area… In 1628, the Mohawks (members of the Iroquois Confederacy) conquered the Mahicans, who retreated to Connecticut. The Mohawks gained a near-monopoly in the fur trade with the Dutch, as they controlled the upstate Adirondacks and Mohawk Valley through the center of New York.
“The Algonquian Lenape population around New York Bay and along the Lower Hudson were seasonally migrational people. The Dutch called the numerous tribes collectively the River Indians, known by their exonyms as the Wecquaesgeek, Hackensack, Raritan, Canarsee, and Tappan. These groups had the most frequent contact with the New Netherlanders…”
“Like the French in the north, the Dutch focused their interest on the fur trade. To that end, they cultivated contingent relations with the Five Nations of the Iroquois to procure greater access to key central regions from which the skins came….”

Who were they?

The unknown Hispanic male and American Indian female were parents of an UNKNOWN daughter (1623-1688) who married HENDRICK LAMBERTSE BOUTS aka SASSIAN (1621-1692) whose ancestors were probably Danish and possibly Icelandic.

This UNKNOWN daughter and HENDRICK BOUTS had a daughter named SUSTER BOUTS, “possibly being of Mohawk blood,” who was born in 1647 in Schenectady, New York. She died 9 Feb 1690 in the Schenectady Massacre, Albany, New York.

SUSTER married CORNELIS VIELE (1643-1690). They named their daughter (our ancestor) BLANDINA, a name known worldwide as a popular Hispanic given name.

Thus, I believe that in the 1600s in New Amsterdam, a Hispanic male who married an American Indian female were my dad’s ancestors.

Shari

dpyates

Postby dpyates » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Shari, Did you test again after Feb. 2017, when we added four Armenian populations? Did you get Armenian matches. It is a close question.
Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
Principal Investigator, http://dnaconsultants.com

Shari

Postby Shari » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:44 pm

No, my last Finger Print Plus and Rare Genes from History test was on Nov 10, 2014.

christopherswink8

Postby christopherswink8 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm

I have Portuguese Northern, Central, Porto, Madeira at 2, 12, 15, 33, 47. I also have Armenian Gardman at 41. Melungeon is my number 1 match, Lumbee at 3 and Cherokee at 9 and 52. Could the Portuguese matches possibly be of Native American Origin? I can not find any actual Portuguese ancestors within past 300 years. Could it be possible that these Portuguese matches are a result of the slave trade of Native Americans being sent to Spain/ Portugal, France, even British Isles as well as South America and the Caribbean islands?

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:09 pm

christopherswink8 wrote:I have Portuguese Northern, Central, Porto, Madeira at 2, 12, 15, 33, 47. I also have Armenian Gardman at 41. Melungeon is my number 1 match, Lumbee at 3 and Cherokee at 9 and 52. Could the Portuguese matches possibly be of Native American Origin? I can not find any actual Portuguese ancestors within past 300 years. Could it be possible that these Portuguese matches are a result of the slave trade of Native Americans being sent to Spain/ Portugal, France, even British Isles as well as South America and the Caribbean islands?

Hello Christopher.

Hope you've been well. :)

I am supposed to have Portuguese on my dad's side and now I have found a few older Spanish connections on mom's side one traces to born in Spain around 1600 and his father about 1560. I think the name was Anglicized as it is Alphonse Doniphan or Alfonse Jphan Doniphan (which the J instead of an I out of place and is Iphan in Doniphan). Which I presume Don is the title/honorific and ph is not Spanish usually would just be an f instead. So maybe Don Alfonse Ifan?

Of course, Doniphan is a city in Missouri and county in Kansas. The man those named after (Alexander William Doniphan b. 1808) I show as a 4th cousin 5 times removed, Alexander William Doniphan common ancestor is the son of the person born in Spain after they were in England, then there to America.

My sister and I both had Andalusia, Spain very high: my 2nd and her 1st world results.

Regards.

Marcia

Return to “Hispanic”