Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Possible Descent from Pocahontas {Advice?}

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

bailey12

Possible Descent from Pocahontas {Advice?}

Postby bailey12 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Late last week I found two DNA matches on AncestryDNA who are direct descendants of Pocahontas through her son Thomas Rolfe. They both share a common Bollings line. Yesterday, I found a third match on AncestryDNA with this same line of descent from Pocahontas. I'm adopted and my birth family is mixed-race African American {Highland Scots/African on my birth father's side and English/African on my birth mother's side} I do know I have Native American on both sides but have been unable to confirm a tribe as of yet {I have 3 out of 4 Native American markers on my 18 Marker Ethnic Panel provided by DNA Consultants. My birth father's family came from the North {Pennsylvania and Delaware} and Georgia while my birth mother's family mostly came from Virginia.

It's funny, but my birth mother's aunt claimed our family was descended from Pocahontas down in Virginia. She said we have "Powhatan" ancestry. She told me this through interviews on phone and email. I didn't believe her but now I think there might be something to this after all. I sent messages to these three matches and I look forward from hearing from them! Maybe my great-aunt was right.

I haven't heard back from any of the matches yet but I should hear back any day now. I just wanted to ask anyone here what they think on this potential connection. I have not been able to view the segment/s we all match on yet but based on the information given above, what does anyone here think? What should I do with this information and how should I interpret it?

D J Thornton

Re: Possible Descent from Pocahontas {Advice?}

Postby D J Thornton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:14 am

Start with what you know. There are reference books In some genealogical libraries on the descendants of Pocahontas. Perhaps join a DNA project for her. Folks will help you.

kstaunton6

Postby kstaunton6 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I am also a descendent of Pocahontas, based on my mtDNA markers. I am adopted and cannot help you with a paper trail. however, more than one of my matches has a tree that goes back to Elizabeth Bland Blair who married John Bolling. an oddity, is that an "aunt" told me that my real grandmother was Choctaw. yet I do have at least one mtDNA cousin who is a registered member of the Cherokee Nation. Another claims descent from a Tuckaho "princess," possibly Cornblossom. I would love to compare research with you. K S Mitchell in VA

kstaunton6

Postby kstaunton6 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:45 pm

You might also consider that the Amonsoquoth (maybe not spelled quite right) claim Pocahontas' mother saying that she was Cherokee. This would make Pocahontas 1/2 whatever her mother was. However, descending from Thomas Rolph (or any other male in between him and you) means your mtDNA is not matching Pocahontas directly. This is because Thomas Rolfe could not pass his mtDNA on to his descendents.

Also, William Deyo, tribal historian of the Potawattamie (sp?) has on-line information regarding Pocahontas' daughter with Kocoum. Please keep me informed about your search, what if we are having the same search? K S Mitchell in VA

kstaunton6

Postby kstaunton6 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:19 pm

I recently found a very helpful website/ kindle book/ regular book by a man named Richard Hill. google: Richard Hill DNA advisor. he helps adoptees find birth families using DNA testing. the e-book is only $2.99 and you can download a free app from amazon that turns your PC into a kindle reader. I was amazed and I am really excited about the possibilities.

D J Thornton

Postby D J Thornton » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 am

Family Tree Chart of Kocum and Pocahontas daughter to Mary Martin
https://genealogyadventures.files.wordp ... hontas.jpg

Also this is a very interesting website explaining Iberian DNA in the Welsh,
Triangulation of automas DNA in family

I found it interesting

https://genealogyadventures.wordpress.c ... scoveries/

And it’s Pocahontas to boot. She’s my 12x great grandmother via Ka Oke “Jane” Powhatan, her daughter by her first husband, Kocoum.

One source was the Patawomeck Tides, a newsletter that tribe sends its members (https://www.nps.gov/jame/learn/historyc ... s-2009.pdf). Once I began reading, the pieces rapidly fell into place. Mike was right (not that I had any doubts, Mike!).

families who carry the traditional descent from Pocahontas and Kocoum are: Martin, Threlkeld, Porch, Sullivan, Fugate, Roberson, Curtis, Limbrick, Newton, Green, Butler, Courtney, Humphries, Brown, Jett, Peyton/Payton, Chilton, Burton, Hudson, Jones, Cox, Grigsby, Bates, Berry, Kitchen, Fines, Chinn, McGuire, Payne, Rollow, and many others.

Return to “Native American”