Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Melungeon Allele

Moderators: Shari, teresapy, dpyates, jakayj, DNAadministrator, dnacommunities, janRavenspirit

janRavenspirit

Melungeon Allele

Postby janRavenspirit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:02 pm

Greetings all and happy New Year!!!
I am a new moderator and honored to be here.

I am Cherokee and Seneca. Results- Melungeon allele relatable to Cherokee DNA. Dr. Yates is the ONLY one doing this intensive and extensive study on actual Cherokee as you know. My Cherokee is #2, and I also have Central and South American Indian-Hmmm....

Armenian #1 at megapoplutations- most likely Cherokee. Dr. Yates explained to me of Armenians (from Armenia....) testing Cherokee @ #1- having never been in America other than Canada- no history, so why can't the reverse apply with folks like me- Melungeon allele and known Cherokee. Very interesting stuff to ponder. Have to Native American Rare Genes- specifically, Amerind and Lake Baikal.

I'm a Sizemore, Greene (Seneca and Cherokee Greenes), Jackson from Wilkes NC.

Anyone else?

Raven

Re: Melungeon Allele

Postby Raven » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 pm

What is the melungeon allele? I have Brazilian-Belem Amazonians at #8, u.s Cherokee admixed at #13 and also received Native American Florida in my top 50. I got the Amerind gene and the Lake Baikal gene as well.

emmdee2

Re: Melungeon Allele

Postby emmdee2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:15 am

Hello Jan.

I still don't have any paper trail or exact lineage. I know my mom had a grandmother part Native but totally unknown tribal affiliation.

I had Cherokee Enrolled (n=33) at #1, Native American-Florida (n=105) at #5, Native American - Lumbee (n=106) at #42 - quite a lot of Brazil matches like 5 in top 50 then other Hispanic, Ibererian, Costa Rica etc... which I am supposed to be part Portuguese.

My world matches were Iberian, Jewish, Armenian then American Indian at #4.

My Rare Genes, had 6 matches Amerind, Yellow Emperor, Rain Goddess, Europa, King Tut and Khoisan.

My mom's side of family parts from Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee but left and ended up in Iowa. So I never imagined I would match the Southeastern Indian tribes.

Been reading a lot of the books by Dr. Yates. In some ways I match for what I can see. Though I wonder if my higher score is perhaps a bit inflated and that something from dad's side (like the Portuguese) makes me match closer than I would have otherwise.

Marcia

Return to “Cherokee”