Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Native Americans in match list

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, D J Thornton

Jimbo

Native Americans in match list

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 pm

In my matching population list native Americans was number 14 . It reads North American Native Americans (n=533). I was curious to know who are the people used for reference. It was gray and not blue wheni I went to the population list on the DNA consultants web page. Thanks for anyone who can explain this

emmdee2

Re: Native Americans in match list

Postby emmdee2 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 am

A pure guess if that #14 North American Native Americans was your only or highest Native match might be that the test can see the relationship but can't say which tribe you are related to? I tried to figure how they came to that sample size, not sure if it is a combination of several or its own group.

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:42 am

Good question. I asked Dr. Yates and he replied:

This is the aggregate population of new tribal populations described here: https://dnaconsultants.com/news/tribal- ... ose-added/ . It's found on our website.

Jakay

Raven

Postby Raven » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:39 pm

I’m curious about this myself. I’m confused that I have a match to Native American Florida but no match to North American Native Americans.

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Raven,

When you follow the link, it explains that this population (North American - Native American) is a compilation of NEWLY sampled tribal populations (29) not those we already had in our databanks, which included Native American - Florida. It does not include the Native American populations previously listed.

Hope that helps.

Jakay

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:27 am

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond.

Jaykay: just to be clear you said newly tested native Americans that were tested after the groups were made?

emmdee2: my closest native American match is # 7 Choles from Chiapas Mexico. #14 north American native Americans. #16 Guatemala Mestizo. #23 Equadorian kichwas #28 Mexico Narayit jalisco. #49 was Florida native Americans. My family is from Mvscogee area of Alabama right down the river from Moundville. I guess this makes sense because the Creek and mayans spoke a similar language. No I'm not a card holder.

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi Jimbo.

My # 5 on DNA Consultants was Florida Native and I have had another service saying I have Muskogean Creek Florida based... but my family was not so far south. So to me that makes either Lumbee or Cherokee more likely, but I believe that there was some mixing. No card here either, just a family history that one of mom's grandmothers was Native or part Native.

Seems that this group was an updated population. I know that my #50 was the big White US n~3915 population which I still laugh because I would have thought it would be higher for me than any of the other results.

Marcia

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Jimbo,

These new populations are newly tested/reported populations. Added to the lists of previously tested/reported populations.

Jakay

Return to “Native American”