Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Cherokee, Natufian and American Indian

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

christopherswink8

Cherokee, Natufian and American Indian

Postby christopherswink8 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:59 pm

My recent Cherokee test resulted in a highly likely for Cherokee ancestry. While I realize that DNA Consultants can not comment on other companies or other raw data utilities. I have a question regarding Natufian percentages on Gedmatch. Also on my Melungeon report concerning my alleles I have 3 Jewish markers, 1 NA II marker and 1 Asian marker. On Gedmatch I show 38% Natufian. Could this be ancient dna? Could it be related to my Cherokee test results? My Melungeon #1 match? A lot of my ancestry dates back to Colonial America, and this being the case I am theorizing that my Jewish, NA and Asian could possibly all be related to Eastern Seaboard Colonial America as there is a lack of reference populations for Northern Native Americans on the Eastern seaboard. I also show similarities with Minnesota, Michigan, Florida Native American as well as Canadian Aboriginals and Amazonian, Orinoquian, Andean, Paraguayan, Mestizo on my DNA consultants results. Could it be that there is much more Native American ancestry within my genetic makeup? Are the markers indicative of a possible ancient Phoenician signature and admixture relating to Amerindians of the Americas?

emmdee2

Re: Cherokee, Natufian and American Indian

Postby emmdee2 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Which GEDMatch admixture test are you using? It appears to be an ancient calculator Gedrosia ancient 6. I show 37.42 and my sister a little over 38% Natufian on that calculator but I do not show Melungeon at all on the DNAConsultants Native Fingerprint and my sister does not on her Cherokee test. My husband who is Mexican and usually show 30-50% Native and usually 5-7% African only had 28.46 Natufian and about 6% sub saharan on the calculator. I do have a couple of the Jewish III and IV markers, the Native II and Sub Saharan but no Asian marker for me.

Those ancient calculators with limited buckets to sort to will probably not be the most accurate and they will sort all mostly European people to something similar within a couple of percent.

I do have a lot of lines that go back to Colonial America (more NE on dad's side and more SE on mom's side).

Also this is the information they show on that calculator on that population:

Natufian: This was an Epipaleolithic culture that existed from 12,500 to 9,500 BC in the area of Israel. They were derived about 50% from an original Out-of-Africa population, referred to as Basal Eurasians. If you are a European and show Natufian admixture, this does not imply that Natufians interacted with your ancestors. All it means is that Natufian like admixture was mediated to you via intermediaries, such as the early European Farmers from the Near East.

If you want to look my kit is M388562, my husband's kit is H192087.

christopherswink8

Postby christopherswink8 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:11 pm

emmdee2,

On gedmatch we are a match on chr 11. 7.3 gen to MRCA.

In the Admixture heritage chromosome painting on Eurogenes K9b calculator on different chromosomes we have in common Southwest Asian, Southeast Asian, Mediterranean, Native American, South African, Sub Saharan African and North Euro.

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:56 am

Wow, that is great. :) If you would like to write me an email at emmdee2@gmail.com or maybe a private message I would like to compare some surnames and see if we can find the connection. Also can give you my sister's number but the kits that were done on Genesis first just don't have the same detail as my kit. She might or might not match you but it could give some more information.

Is the area on the 11 chromosome around the 117 to 123M area? That seems to be the most like what you described. This has to be my mom's side of the family.

My name is Marcia (mar-see-uh emmdee stands for my initials MD) and looks like we are some degree of cousin.

christopherswink8

Postby christopherswink8 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:59 pm

Marcia,
I will compile and send an email this coming weekend.

Return to “Cherokee”