Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

10 Rare Gene Alleles

Moderators: dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy

deborahmcdonald

10 Rare Gene Alleles

Postby deborahmcdonald » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:36 am

Wow 10 Rare Gene Alleles! I am truly surprised.
Scythian
Akhenaten
King Tut
2 - Khoisan
Europa
Yellow Emperor
The Ancient One
Crazy Horse - which was totally surprising!
And
People of the Steppes

I had Cherokee at #45 and Native American at #18
Could Native American at #18 be Lakota?

jakayj

Re: 10 Rare Gene Alleles

Postby jakayj » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Good afternoon, Deborah,

You didn't say which Native American population you saw at #18. Could you check again and let me know?

Jakay

deborahmcdonald

Postby deborahmcdonald » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:44 pm

Hi, my certificate just says Native American #18. I do have Cherokee though at #45. I also have 2 Alleles for Native American II.

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:42 pm

Thanks, Deborah,

The #18 on your certificate refers to the whole group of populations that fall under Native American megapopulations. Just as we have several Jewish populations that fall under the umbrella of the Jewish megapopulations or the Central European label.

Your #18 means your Native connections are 18th in number of matches in all of your megapopulations.

Hope this helps.

Jakay

deborahmcdonald

Postby deborahmcdonald » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:22 pm

So are there Cherokees that have the Rare Gene for Crazy Horse?

jakayj

Postby jakayj » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Deborah,

It appears some do, but we haven't studied the occurences.

Jakay

emmdee2

Postby emmdee2 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:17 am

deborahmcdonald wrote:So are there Cherokees that have the Rare Gene for Crazy Horse?

I can't say that I am Cherokee (I don't have genealogical proof, no family history other than a reportedly "part Native" great grandmother) but on my Native Fingerprint the Cherokee Enrolled population was my #1 World Match - then Florida Natives and Lumbee also in the top 50 as well.

For Rare Genes test I did get the Crazy Horse. I also had the Amerind, Yellow Emperor, Khoisan and King Tut. A few others like 8 total. So some are similar to your matches. I don't think it guarantees a relation to the Sioux/Lakota just that they are the population this marker has the highest incidence as compared to other populations.

I am mostly European, but on rare genes on 2 of the 8 were European markers. Four were Asian/Native and two were African markers. So in that seems similar to yours.

Return to “Rare Genes from History”