Welcome to DNA Ancestor Communities! Here you can learn about your own ancestry as well as explore wide-ranging topics such as genetics, genealogy, and world history. We have ten DNA Ancestry forums, including several found nowhere else, such as Melungeon, Romani, and Cherokee. You may read any posts in any forum but to reply or start a new thread you must register. Please click at the top right corner to register or log in.

If you're not sure where to start, register, choose a forum, and jump in. DNA Ancestor Communities is for everyone, from novice to expert. Our experienced moderators will be happy to guide you during your search for answers and information, and of course everyone likes to hear personal stories. Come on in!

Cherokee DNA Match Help

Moderators: Shari, dpyates, jakayj, suelevin1, dnacommunities, teresapy, janRavenspirit

bailey12

Cherokee DNA Match Help

Postby bailey12 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:33 am

I'm a returning customer of DNA Consultants. I love the company, by the way, very informative and just great to work with. Anyways, I just bought the Cherokee Special Update last Monday and I was curious to what extent the Cherokee DNA Match test can "confirm" Cherokee ancestry. I know it's not a ticket for tribal membership {which I'm NOT seeking} but can it confirm or suggest the presence and/or probability of Cherokee ancestry in any way or amount?

I guess what I'm asking is not if it can or not confirm Cherokee heritage to some degree. I'm not sure how else to put it. Here's a little background on me below to help give you a better idea on what my results might look like:

I'm a 23 year old adoptee and Anthropology student. I got 3 out of 4 Native American markers on my 18 Ethnic Marker Panel and showed a high match green dot on Michigan Native American which included many Cherokee in that sample, according to Dr. Yates. I'm also tested with 23andme, AncestryDNA and I'm on Gedmatch, and I have some Cherokee matches. I'm still awaiting my results from DNA Consultants but what does anyone think on this test? Could there be a small chance of me having some Cherokee ancestors?

Oh! Forgot to mention- I also have two green dots in the Florida region of the Native Americans on my World Ancestry Map as well as in Michigan Native.

suelevin1

Re: Cherokee DNA Match Help

Postby suelevin1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:03 pm

HI, Bailey- I will be working on your report. The results will give you a likelihood of Cherokee ancestry. I can't comment on your other notes until I see your previous report, which I hope to do in the next few days. Until then...

Sue

bailey12

Postby bailey12 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:27 pm

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, what is the turnaround time for returning customers for this test? I sent my payment on Monday of this week- so about 3 weeks right? I am also glad to hear the test can confirm {but not prove, is that a good way to put it?} Cherokee ancestry. Anyways, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Raven

Postby Raven » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:05 pm

I took the special Cherokee match and received a match to the population as number 14. I was also wondering if it truly confirms the ancestry since it is based on studies of Cherokee DNA. I also received a match to Native American Florida but it seems my Native American type of DNA is more common in South America as my highest match was Belem Amazonians and was number 8.

bailey12

Postby bailey12 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Did the test say there was a significant suggestion of Cherokee ancestry for you?

Also, what was the turnaround time?

Raven

Postby Raven » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi Bailey. The test stated that it could be inferred that Cherokee heritage is strong. Because I had no knowledge of Native American ancestry prior to this, I can't determine if my DNA is simply similar to Cherokees. I am from Pennsylvania and I don't believe there were a lot of Cherokees but I'm sure people moved around. The main tribe that I've read have been in my area for years is the Ramapough Lenape. I've read they are a mixed tribe of Native American, African American and European. According to the description of Belem Amazonians, they are also Native American, African American and European. So maybe I'm Lenape??? They actually had a show about them that got cancelled called the Red Road. One of the main characters was Tamara Tunie, who grew up very close to where I live and states that she is of the same mixture as the Ramapough.

bailey12

Postby bailey12 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks, I'm still waiting on my results so you helped clarify a few things for me. I was also born in the Commonwealth but I live now in Michigan.

Raven

Postby Raven » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:20 pm

I forgot to add it took about two weeks to get my results.

bailey12

Postby bailey12 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Okay, that's what I thought, about 2-3 weeks.

Suzannedefoor

Postby Suzannedefoor » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Does your company now provide a DNA kit to prove Cherokee heritage in your bloodline? I'd very much like to check into purchasing the kit. In my family research, I found out my Dad's great-grandmother, on his father's side, had Cherokee blood, either from one or both parents. How do I go about in purchasing the Cherokee DNA kit?

Suzanne De Foor

Return to “Cherokee”